Dan Dare Helmets

Silly question probably - but has anyone have any experience with Hornet’s 1/35 Dan Dare helmeted heads? I see the provide a mic jig - simple enough but what are the smaller protrusions used for just above the jig? Google/Bing doesn’t clearly show those parts… TIA

1 Like

Once you’ve bent the wire/solder whatever you use on the jig, the protrusions are the actual microphone on the end:

1 Like

Noe that the actual mike had a protective sleeve/cover on it and this I believe, is what Hornet are replicating:

Thank you so much - makes perfect sense now.

1 Like

Just curious, but which Hornet set is that?
I first figured it was HUH03 but your set looks different from that.

HBH20 I believe. The Brits back in the 70s must have considered that the US helmet (that you’ve identified) was the way ahead, and designed the version shown.

I understand it wasn’t much liked by the crews.

Incidentally the name “Dan Dare” comes from a comic , “Eagle for boys” dating from the 50s; one of the characters in the various stories within was an astronaut of the future, the eponymous Dan Dare. Actually, the helmet he wore resembled nothing like the Army-issue crew helmet; I can only deduce that as the Dan Dare character survived several iterations in children’s comics that his name was used to identify the (arguably) futuristic design of the helmet.

3 Likes

hqdefaultass

Ah, I never thought to check british helmet types.
Thanks!

1 Like

I wonder if that style of helmet was the inspiration for the helmet worn by Man-At-Arms.

latest-1038334322

2 Likes

The set is Hornet & Wolf | No. HBH20 | 1:35. British “Dare” helmets 1970s.

1 Like

Er, yes; as annotated above(!)

Sadly, a comparison of these two invaluable reference sources fails to throw much light on the matter, so I’m still unsure whether the British Army helmet was fully shielded against the Mekon’s mind control ray.

1 Like

Hah! brilliant!

I’m actually of such vintage that I used to take the Eagle comic, and very good it was too; nearly full colour throughout, good stories, some quite sinister, and every week an amazing cut out drawing of a tank, or aircraft. A fantastic effort for young boys.

1 Like

Agreed, the Eagle was beautifully produced - far better than the comics I grew up with.

1 Like

I do remember the cut out drawings (let alone the stories) with no small affection: I first learnt about Chieftain’s reclining Driver’s seat, the mighty Conqueror, and the TSR-2, all from this comic.

I further recall the sketch of the MBT-70 - which still portrayed a Driver in the hull (and still a 4 man crew); clearly the innovative nature - or more likely the secrecy at the time - defeated the illustrator:

MBT (12)

2 Likes