Das Boot

Das Boot in 1/16??
Wow… that’s going to be one hefty project! In that scale you’d have to model the individual droplest from the spray of the water!

But impressive.

2 Likes

Beautiful skintones, Ski! Good to see the master back at work.

3 Likes

In those circumstances I guess a sheen is warranted with all the water spray comming down on them…

3 Likes

Masterful paint up BroSki , kinda like fixin up an old garage find 67 Camero …
So was the cost/work worth the end result … yes it was … but should you have had to do it from the git - go ?
Beautiful man !!!

2 Likes

Ahhh the Great Rembrandtski is back! Despite the imperfections those figs look brilliant. As you said they’d be likely pale, even more so in the biting cold wind? I agree with Erwin there’d be spray, I guess the trick is how wet their heads & hands would be. And how damp their clothes would be…but I’m sure you’ve got it all sorted. 100% entertainment when you’re on deck, strapping in :ocean:

4 Likes

Great build thus far Ski, nice work on the build and positioning of the figures, excellent, :slightly_smiling_face: :+1:.

It was Trevor Howard in your Red Devils build, and this painted face has the look of a Charlton Heston, fresh from the set of ‘Planet of the Apes’, nicely rendered, :slightly_smiling_face:.

G, :beer:

3 Likes

Oh no, we won’t get too carried away now, HA! Thanks, Ron.

Thank you, Karl.

Thanks, Matt and Erwin. I’m still considering how the wet look will be presented. Shooting a gloss coat might be too much, but then again,…

Ya, that 66 is still in your craw, HA! Was this worth the cost, not a chance, and I will recommend against it. I am, however, having much more fun now. :wink:

That is too funny! Ya, I’m still mulling over the effect, don’t want a blob of gloss, but these guys were soaked.

Thaks, G-man! These guys always look a little rough for the first few days, even weeks, until I do some more feathering to add those tiny details. sometimes I never staisfied, but the goal is to get as close to life as possible. sometimes I get dcently close, others, well,flop!

Thanks, Gents!

5 Likes

Contrast and Depth

Well, I was going to start Number One’s face, but had an itch to continue to adjust Lt. Werner’s details for depth and contrast. The beard looks a bit on the light side, but that will be toned down. I know the character Lt. Werner actually has more of a red tone to his hair, but I like the blonde tone much better on this figure. Who knows, this may change yet again. Also, the eyes are bit off, but that will be adjusted later.

To get an idea of how Lt. Werner will look in his dark rain coat I went ahead and added a base tone to the rest of the figure. For the rain coat I Used Tamiya’s XF-63 German Grey and a mix of XF-8 Flat Blue and XF-2 Flat White for the jacket and trousers. This particular mix was left over from my initial Sub Gun Deck crew paint session and I prefer the slight bluish tone rather than the light grey. The scarf was given a coat of Red Brown XF-64.

I will make small adjustments to the face as time goes along, but for now, Lt. Werner will stand aside until all the rest of the figures have reached this stage. I prefer to keep the momentum going when painting faces and not get sidetracked if at all possible.

More to follow soon. Cheers, Ski.

12 Likes

Absolutely amazing technique and it just makes him look so real … Tones are superb … Even at that scale anything I attempted would just end up looking like a gargoyle… :frowning:

2 Likes

Na, enough brush strokes and even an amateur like me can get it right ever now and again, HA! It’s only practice, and practice,…and oh, did I say practice? Thanks for the kind words, Johnny!

4 Likes

Love the fig. I really do. I think a good going with varnish would put him in the scene. Maybe a mix of satin and gloss?
Are you considering representing water streaming from the conning tower?

3 Likes

Oh man, this is great to follow again… can’t get enough of your work… would like to see then a bit cold and wet though :sneezing_face:

2 Likes

The work is looking great. :+1::+1::+1:

4 Likes

Thanks, Erwin. Not sure how in-depth I’ll be taking this, but I want to get it done and move on to another set.

Thanks, Brother. They will get wet, that’s for sure.

Tanks, Tank!

3 Likes

Once it’s all done you could always turn it into an unusual water-feature under a big-ass bell jar, with a couple of concealed atomisers wired up to a pump recycling the sea-spray :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

A garden fountain… :smile:

2 Likes

I don’t know if it is useful for you, but to create the effect of a trickle of water I did the following:

• create a small puddle of CA glue on a small plastic bag (takes ages to dry like that)
  • take a small piece of mono filament fishing line
  • drag this repeatedly through the glue. Waiting a short while between the actions.
    This way the glue will build up to something resembling running water…
4 Likes

Thanks for the ideas, Gents. Not sure yet how I’m going to do it yet. I’m battling the faces right now and I’ll feel better once I get to the coats and trousers. Then the water effect will be front and center.

5 Likes

Number One

Well, this may not actually be Number One, second in command, because that poor kid couldn’t grow facial hair to save his life, so it was more than likely an NCO or another Second Lieutenant. At any rate, he’s Number One for now.

Now that most of the rough-in facial work has been done there’s quite a bit more touch up needed, but that will be done later. The hands are still very rough in appearance, much has to do with the casting. It’s a very delicate area to try to clean up without breaking nearly every finger, so I will be doing my best to hide the deficiencies. Seam lines on the fingers are not what you would expect from a top line producer, but here they are. If it’s not seam lines, its serious slag, and it was not a fun process to get it even this far along. Onward and forward, right?

Just as I did with the first figure, I painted the trousers and coat a bluish grey base tone for perspective and dark tan on the boots. I still need to add red tones to the face, but for now I’m moving on to the Second Lieutenant figure.

It’s a shame this face is partially covered by the left hand, because this face has great features that could be better exposed. The next figure has a pair binos in his face, so his details will be obstructed as well. Heavy wind and water splash would make me cover my ugly mug too, I recon, HA!

More to follow and thanks for watching. Cheers, Ski.

12 Likes

Hmmm – gloves? I haven’t been on a U-boat in an Atlantic storm recently, but imagine I wouldn’t be able to hold my diction let alone metal objects after 30 seconds or so. Maybe you could cover those gnarly seam-ridden hands with a smoothed layer of putty & save a world of pain?

4 Likes