Das Boot

Lol, break em out and Ruck On Bby!

2 Likes

That is actually a Dutch ladyā€¦ Pretty, has a good voice too, brother is also a good singer and dad is also sax playerā€¦

1 Like

Gotta love a good sax jam, and she does that indeed.

Are you claiming relation, Erwin???

2 Likes

No, not by farā€¦ Just proud that a Dutch artist is know across the pondā€¦

2 Likes

Itā€™s the Netherlands, not Arkansasā€¦
:dna: :knot: :people_hugging: :underage: :sos::interrobang: :dna:
:grin:
Cheers,

M

3 Likes

Lol, good one. :rofl:

ā€œYa, weez just hackin on ya.ā€

2 Likes

Amazing work Ski, I thoroughly enjoy following your posts, true artistry, :+1: :slightly_smiling_face:.

G, :beer:

1 Like

Hey, Buddy, thanks. More coming!

1 Like

Capt. Brock Is Ready for Duty

Well, after the long ā€œBattle of the Resins,ā€ I can now say I am happy this figure is finished, for the most part. Looking closer at these pics I can see shadows that need definition and a few lines needing more amplification. The punch list is growing, yikes!

When painting this dark color tone with oils itā€™s sometimes difficult to see the flaws that may have been missed during the primer coat portion. This color tone and the high gloss when painting with oils can really mess with your perception and must be constantly observed from multiple angles to make sure areas are treated as they should be, natural shadow fall, highlights, etc. My personal experience has shown that it can be a bit taxing at times to catch all of it correctly, specifically with these dark tones. However, I do like how these coats and trousers are folded and formed, making them a great canvas for blending the oils. This part is always fun for me, personally.

Using my standard ā€œrattle canā€ Dull Coat I am now able to more easily see those flaws, and the slag, that I have missed. Correcting some of these issues will not be addressed as the repainting is more trouble than the issues involved. This really has not been my most enjoyable set of figures to work with.

I will be breaking from the expected glossy water effect on all of these figures, including the deck. I know this set is portrayed on the deck at sea with heavy winds and everyone assumes thereā€™s a sea spray at a quick glance, but is there really? Since the upper portion of the deck is all that is visible I can pretty much work this as I see fit, right? After all, glossy figures are a pet peeve of mine and I wonā€™t willingly do it, if I can help it. Oh, did I mention that I hate glossy figures? HA!

So, for now Capt. Brock will be set aside as I bring the rest of the crew up to speed. I have my punch list, so hopefully all the stray boofs will be wrangled into the coral before these figures are mounted onto the deck. Iā€™m off to work the next figure while the momentum is present, minus winter prep outside, as with what usually happens in Sept/Oct time frame.

Thanks for watching, more to follow soon. Cheers, Ski.

10 Likes

All I can say is that itā€™s impossible to tell youā€™re not enjoying painting these guys - if I had a fraction of your talent Iā€™d be more than happy.

I understand your glossy-fig phobia, me too. I just wonder if you used an atomiser to sparingly spray/spatter gloss on the figuresā€™ lower regionsā€¦? And the conning tower ā€“ Iā€™m not sure if the subā€™s just surfaced, but if so the floor would surely be wet. It just seems to me with the high winds so obviously shown by the flying clothes, it would be hard to believe thereā€™s no spray. Maybe thatā€™s just a wet dream :smirk:

6 Likes

Thereā€™s definitely gonna be wet works judging by the windswept clothing sculpting effect .
Thing is , with your unbelievable Earl Scheib paint job on the figs , an added effect of wet on the figs would be cool but not necessary due to the masterful job of turning John Fettermanesque figs to Brad Pitts .
Oh did you know that Brad Pitt actually has a brother named Stu ā€¦

5 Likes

You have strange dreams, my friend, HA!

Ya, the Fetter is lookin rough lately. Remember, $29.95?

Na, the wet look is out because it would take away from the details of the uniforms. I might give the boots a bit of sheen, even the edges of the deck like my last one, but not a bath. Not gonna do it, wouldnā€™t be prudent! :rofl: :joy: :laughing:

4 Likes

Looking great as usual Ski. :+1:

3 Likes

OK I get it now, some dry humo*r :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Youā€™re British, you understand dry humor quite clearly, I should think? :rofl: :laughing: :money_mouth_face:

Remember, weez just hackin on ya, Billy.

2 Likes

Tanks, Tank!

2 Likes

Very windswept and weather-worn, your subtlety of shading is amazing Ski, :+1: :slightly_smiling_face:.

G, :beer:

2 Likes

Tanks, G-man!

2 Likes

The tonal variation on the wet weather over coat is just spectacular Skiā€¦:+1:

2 Likes

Thanks, Johnny!

1 Like