Das Werk: Kanonenjagdpanzer / Beobachtungspanzer | Armorama™

A teaser from Das Werk: upcoming 1/35 scale kit of a Cold War German tank destroyer, in collaboration with Amusing Hobby. Watch this space for updates!

This is partial text from the full article (usually with photos) at https://armorama.com/news/das-werk-kanonenjagdpanzer-beobachtungspanzer
2 Likes

Excellent news. Thought many times about getting the horrible Revell kit and using a lot of aftermarket to get it at least decent but glad i never did that. Must buy for me!!

I have to say Michael I don’t think the Revell kit is that bad; as you identify the discrepancies can be fixed with say, an aftermarket kit from MR Modellbau (which I admit adds to the cost); Revell could certainly have done better that’s for sure, but I was always glad to see it - the only version I had before was way back when, and that was the Roco Minitanks one in 1:87. I recall Tamiya did one in 1:48, but in a way that’s neither here nor there. There’s also a full resin one available from RetroTracks in 1:35 which concentrates on a Belgian version I believe

With a bit of TLC the Revell one doesn’t look too bad - just don’t look too closely:

I won’t be getting the Amusing Hobby one as I do have another Revell one and a conversion kit in the stash, but well done AH. We seem to live in good modelling times!

4 Likes

This is good news; I recall the real thing, around a dozen or so, roaring through a German village where Corps Main was set up in, around 1972, and very impressive they were too.

Well done Amusing Hobby!

1 Like

I wait with interest to see the first reviews! I built the Revell kit and while it has flaws it’s OK as a “three-footer”. I hope DW are not recycling the Revell moulds for this one…

2 Likes

I bought the Revell kit,
back in 2010 …
Oh well, it was the only game in town back then.

Well, you certainly have seem to be able to get a decent result. Nice model you showed there!
For me, there were just to many flaws in this particular kit, but I have to say that I have build a few Revell kits from that period and in general you can either live with the flaws or invest in after market to bring it up to standards. For whatever you do, once finished it does feel satisfying to have been able to get someting out of them.
Their Fuchs kit from that perios was also not that great, but it is still one of my favourite builds done…another vehicle I would love to see a new kit for btw!

2 Likes

Well, thanks for the comments! I seem to recall the biggest issue was the inaccurate/unworkable hatches which is why it’s just about the one model I have all closed down; I normally like to populate my models just to emphasise scale, and well, that these machines were populated by humans(!)

Funnily enough I recently acquired the Revell Fuchs, realising belatedly, that perhaps I needed one (any excuse to add to the stash). As I wish to depict it in overall Gelboliv I also acquired a set of early pattern wheels - again good old MR Modellbau to the rescue.

'Love the Fuchs; understated but an immaculate finish.

I hope this kit delivers as I’d love to toss the Revell kit in the local raffle.

I recently built the Revell one. More putty to fill sink marks than original plastic.

A lot of money in barrel, smoke dischargers and a lot of time to bring it up, but no where near correct.

Dreadful kit. I said at the time, I could not understand why another mainstream company had not filled the void… and here we are.

5 Likes

Hopefully the TOW version is not far behind. I would also really like to have an new injection model of the Fuchs and Marder up to contemporary standards to replace the old Revell offering.

1 Like

The Revellkit is wrong in certain ways .The coppula has wrong number of optics even the prototype got the same number .The kit got one to much .I am not the modern modelbuilder but this was intresting me as the kit was new .Perfectscale make the best aftermarket kit .The tracks are bad as well .I don´t know all the mistakes anymore but it was a lot .Munster got Prototype ,Productiontype and Beobachtungspanzer and we had the modelexibition there every year .

1 Like