Dealing with Mid project - Interest Shifts

Alright you win lol! That one is older than me!

1 Like

The older I get, I take more time building what I feel at the moment. So, I can have 3 to 5 kits going at the same time. When I young, pulling chocks for the Wright Brothers, I could build a kit about 2 weeks after starting.

2 Likes

Hi everyone

I’m relieved to see so many replies from fellow modellers who have multiple projects on the go - some stretching back years (or decades!). Where I struggled at first with this thread was the assumption that shifting interest mid-project is actually a problem at all.

Yes, it’s definitely an issue if you’re a professional modeller building to a deadline(!) - but, otherwise, modelling should be all about enjoyment and escaping the everyday pressure in life. So, what does it actually matter what you’re working on or how many shifts, turns and stalls there are along the way - so long as you have fun?

To take that to an extreme - if you never finish a single build, but you enjoyed every moment you spent on each of them - that’s 100% fine by my reckoning (and maybe more than a lot of us can claim when battling to see some builds to completion…). While it’s a shared hobby, the way we approach it is totally individual.

All the best

Rowan :beer:

2 Likes

Here endeth the lesson :sunglasses:

3 Likes

So it is written. So let it be done.

"and on the seventh day he created…

With all these preacher-quotes we’re in danger of reaching “Let there be light!” - and anyone who’s seen the film Dark Star knows how that ends… :roll_eyes:

let there be more light:
bild

There is one of these under my Sister’s bed in my Mother’s house. My Dad saw this when we visited Squadron Shop in Concord, California. A few years later after getting a job in Silicon Valley, I bought it for him. My Mother said he’d take it every once in a while and look at the parts.

Thats a brilliant film

Was it a Sherman? I feel like he would be a Sherman fan :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Sherman’s definitely, plus T-34’s both flavors 76 & 85 & zesty Pz IV’s both long & short.

1 Like

Oh, I always have multiple projects on the go (some for very long periods). It’s a running joke among all my branch members but I enjoy the process so have concluded that completion of models need not be a goal for me to enjoy my hobby.

Plus it allows me to delay ruining a project by applying paint to it. Still, I’m hoping that once I have a dedicated spraying space later this year, I may be able to progress some. Or maybe not…

I didn’t see the final with the J painted.

Indeed, ended up sidetracked and have to get back on task :slight_smile:

Sidetrack 1) finished

Sidetrack 2) - an another old model with broken suspension getting repairs, should be off the bench soon.

Had to do a little bit of warming up.

3 Likes

That’s not a mid project interest shift. That’s a mid afternoon interest shift. I have those…

[quote=“phil2015, post:36, topic:7101”]
That’s not a mid project interest shift. That’s a mid afternoon interest shift. [/quote]

Very true Phil, very true indeed!

You are forgiven.

2 Likes

Well this aged like moldy cheese. I have accomplished very little in the last 22 days on the T-34’s. In fact I haven’t really done any modelling whatsoever. Definitely in the middle of a period of burnout right now. Just have to hope the mojo come back soon.

1 Like

@McRunty Rory, sometimes that sort of break helps me recharge. I hope the MOJO returns full force ASAP.

FWIW

I recovered from “Side Track- Panther Fever” shortly after posting. I appreciate each and every response. Venting and discussing really helped me get focused on stuff that needs wrapped rather than drift to another project.

The break through was just sitting at the desk and forcing myself to keep working on the new tracks for the old M1A1.

Anxiety about painting again was the root of my issue. Really stupid to stress over painting as that’s what I love about the hobby but not doing much with paint for eighteen years nearly wrecked my confidence. Mixed up an oil wash and applied to a set of those terrible rubber band tracks.

Once the oil paint started flowing and everything smelled like lighter fluid it was all good!!! :+1:

1. Finished repairing the elderly M1A1

1. Got my cursed DML T-34-85 started in 1997, finally weathered with washes and dry brushing plus gloss coat.

1. This 2019 built Pz II also received washes & dry brushing plus gloss coat

1. The RFM T-34-85 #174 & Tamiya KV-1 were washed, base coated black.

2. Two sets of Fruil tracks blackened for the Tamiya Pz IV J (that still needs camo mentioned above) and it’s twin Tamiya Pz IV H (that also needs camo)

The other hurdle will be spraying a flat coat but there is plan to handle that particular :monkey: monkey.

2 Likes