Digital camo Chally 2

Ok just found this and thought I’d share, I don’t know the source.

4 Likes

Thats super cool! I hope someone makes a set of decals or masks for that!

Maybe down ATDU ? That would be a real mare to paint. Maybe someone at BAE/Vickers got creative ?? Or bored lol

This may be slightly off topic but what inspired the use of digial camo? Is it to confound pixilated aiming devices?

I think it’s something to do with digital cam is meant to work uniformly over short and long ranges allow for a few more seconds of concealment…

1 Like

You may wish to note that the US were ahead of the game in this respect way back in 1978 with the Dual-Tex experiment. The Panzerbaer site covers this nicely (albeit in German) under “Tarnschemen” if anyone wishes to have a look. I tried to embed the URL but somehow it didn’t work.

All a bit of a 'mare to represent in model form, or at least for me. The way my brain functions these days just prevents me from the sequencing let alone actually applying any paint! Those that do succeed do produce some fine models though.

Brian

Link to Dual-Tex at Panzerbär

1 Like

http://www.uniteddynamics.com/dualtex/

Well there ya go, very interesting read. Didn’t know it went back to the mid 70’s. Aparrently has absolutely nothing to do with digital imageing.
At any rate the Chally looks pretty cool with the digicamo. I guess it’s hip to be square hunh :sunglasses:.

Cajun

1 Like

It is my opinion. Back in WW2, Even after the zimmerit was discontinued, some tank crews made makeshift zimmerit for the sole purpose of camouflaging. In my opinion, the the square pattern of zimmerit does make it look like a less refined digital camo.

The challenger has been painted by ADTU staff

5 Likes

Lovely paint job but just after a couple of hours on Salisbury Plain (a training area in UK) it will look like this:

This one is in black and green but I’m sure you’ll take my point!

Brian

2 Likes

I really like the look! Do you have any more pictures? Regards Freddy

I really, really want to try this! I must not buy the new RFM kit and a vinyl cutting machine thingy for masks, my sanity’s remaining thread may break!

Thanks for showing us this, it looks great.

1 Like

Couldn’t agree more… Thousands of pounds for it to be repainted, only to be then countered by a good plastering of mud lol.

I just knew you’d be contemplating doing this Jim… Just bite the bullet and do it lol… Please :grin:

2 Likes
1 Like

Cough cough cough!

2 Likes

Ha! Thanks for the encouragement guys but that is one complicated scheme. The more I look the more my head hurts just thinking about tackling all those shapes. I’ve seen digital camo masks and decals for aircraft so you never know, maybe someone will jump on this…

Cough cough cough. :crazy_face:

1 Like

Damn, I’m running out of excuses!

2 Likes