Diorama 1/72 Testing making snow

Hi guys! Happy New Year!

I want to share my latest work. I am not sure, but I assume that 1/72 scale isn’t the most common scale in this forum!?
Well I am a big fan of this scale as well as 1/35.

The reason for doing this little diorama is that I wanted to test some snow products that I got from UK company Precision Ice and Snow.
I will use the snow effect in another upcoming diorama that I will do very soon. It’s for a group build on YouTube themed “Tank hunters”.

So this “test diorama” has no name or place, but the time is winter 1944.
The 3 figures are all made by Italeri, I picked them because I this they look really nice.
The wall is a left over from other projects, also made by Italeri. The plants is from my garden, I also used some static grass in different colors.

This was a type of speed build, the focus was to test the snow.

The mockup:

I used air drying clay, it should look like a fiel:

I used brown/black colors, mud effect, white glue and soil:

The ground before adding the snow:

2 Likes

So, time to add the snow. I used the adhesive and krycell fine, in some places I used white glue.

I am pleased to say that this stuff really work. Have you guys tested this stuff? What do you use to make snow?

Here is some pictures of the final result:

Here is the mockup of the upcoming project:

I hope you like the ideas of the dioramas, feedback is great to get. I tips and tricks:)
Cheers, Erik

5 Likes

Oh, I almost forgot, I did a little video about the build as well…:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Awesome dio and video! You got yourself another subscriber!

1 Like

Thanks a lot man! Making the videos is almost, (just almost) as fun as building the diorama.
I am not sure about what the other guys think of 1/72 scale?? Have you hade any discussions of that before?

Hi Erik,

Happy New Year to you. Brilliant dioramas, very realistic, :slightly_smiling_face: :+1:.

I used the ‘Precision Ice and Snow’ products, not on a 1/72nd scale build, but as a top coat to my1/35th scale Churchill build last year (see image below).

I really liked it, and found the product to be easy to use, even with no experience of modelling snow, and there was plenty material in the resealable bags.

Again, your builds look great.

Cheers, :beer:,

G

2 Likes

Wow G! That’s a nice scene, interesting to see how the snow seems “big and heavy” on the roof.
Oh man I really want to test it in 1/35, but the time is limited… but some day I will:)
Anyway thanks a lot G! /Erik

Thats really cool. 1:72 is a bit small for me though, and I prefer 1:35. I did one 1:72 diorama of a Scorpion tank - I’ll dig out a picture sometime - but I prefer working with bigger figures. Heres a pic of my only snow diorama - 1:35 T34 tank, with instant paper-mache for the snow and white spray paint.

3 Likes

Looks pretty convincing to me. I like the fact you say it’s pretty easy to use.

Cheers,
C.

1 Like

Thanks Paul! Well your winter scene is quite nice to.
Maybe some day we should do a group build with the theme “Winter and snow”!?
Cheers, Erik
@creading Thanks man:)