Diorama: D-Day in 1:35

Here are some pictures from my D-Day diorama. I finished it last year in december.
It’s in 1:35 with figures from a lot different brands. The LCVPs are from Italeri.
I has only one thing to do at the figures. I still have to wet the uniforms. For this, I will use some wet medium.

And maybe, I will change the beach explosion.

13 Likes

Fantastic work of a horrible tragic scene. Really shows the terrible nature of war.

Excellent workmanship on this. My only comment would be that obstacles and figures would be more sunken into the sand. Especially the heavy tank traps would have sunken quite deep into the sand.

2 Likes

I have to agree with Jesper it is a remarkable piece of work but the obstacles need to be sunken in more.

the blood colour also differs depending on if it’s oxygenated or not, less oxygen and the blood is darker. another thing that Hollywood get wrong is when blood mixes with water, it does stay red but starts to turn dark orange. next time you cut yourself and you wash the injury you will see it in a sink full of water.

hope this helps.

Very good diorama! Really shows how horrible things can be, not many people wkuld show this in a diorama. Like mentioned, adding a layer of sand around the resting on he sand barriers should at reality allready, then you get the impression of them being sunk in the sand, and the tide washed away a good bit of the sand inbetween the barriers.
And for the impression of wet clothes, you could use a darker color, that would make them appear wet as well.
And the explosion on the beach: judging by the movie explosions there should be a lot of fire colorwise :grinning:

1 Like

Good idea with the sand at the obstacles. I will try this.
Also a good idea with the water explosions.
But it’s not a good idea for the sand explosion. Movie explosions always consist too much of fire. They looks more then gasoline explosions. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
Sand explosions, in wet sand, look brown and dirty. At least hand grenades, that I threw in my army time. :grin:

1 Like

Keep in mind some fabrics darken when wet especially HBT.

1 Like

I agree with most of the above statements and commend you on the time spent on this project. I get worn out after painting 2 or 3 figures. Try gloss to make the figures look wet. The water explosions look like clouds instead of water spouts. To bad after you did such a great job on the beach water. I think there should be little water spouts from all the rifle & mg fire. The sand explosion would be more spread out than straight up. When people get killed they seem to sink in to there environment instead of laying on it. Over all a WELL DONE and you have put a lot of work into it.

Agreed, going darker is the right move. I do alot of spring hunting when means sitting in the rain, my gear is never glossy, the colors and fabric darken up.

Christian, maybe a different approach is dusting the figures, you don’t cross a Sandy beach and not look like a sugar cookie when you’re done. some clumped sand on boots and in creases would be subtle but I think would convey the effect, just use a slightly darker shade to represent the wet sand clinging to the uniforms vs the lighter, dryer sand they are moving across. I think the viewers will make the obvious connection.

1 Like

Thanks for the tips. For wet clothes, I will use a wet medium (AK or MIG) for the soldiers.
I think, I will do some more work on it. Maybe later this year, because I have a lot of open projects. :see_no_evil:

1 Like

great work, very nice, congratulations :ok_hand: :ok_hand:

Great build Christian, :+1: :slightly_smiling_face:, and you deserve a medal for all of those figures…personally I start to shiver and shake when required to do a single figure, :smile:.

G, :beer:

Thanks :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
You’re right, sometimes, the figures makes me nuts. That’s the reason why I build around 6 years. :see_no_evil:

1 Like

Think you could add a ‘0’ to that if I had to paint so many figures Christian, :laughing:.

G, :beer:

Hi Christian, great diorama that captures the chaos of war. Also lots of attention to detail.

I would make one suggestion, which is to consider laying out your scenes on an angle. From the photos you supplied, it appears that the shoreline, which is marked by the frothy white line of water bisecting the scene, is parallel to the edge of the board. Rotating this line so it is at an angle to the edge would create a more visually dynamic look to the diorama. Probably too much work to change things at this point, but something to consider for your next project.

Cheers,
Ivar

www.creativedioramas.com

Thanks for posting this. Awesome content!!!

Thanks for your comment. I know this and I use this trick in my other dioramas. I want do this also for this dio, but it would have become too big with all the figures and the both landing crafts. So, that is acceptable to me.