Dornier Do335A-12 "Anteater"

Good afternoon guys! I am building the Tamiya Do335A-12 and I was wondering what the correct cockpit color should be. Is it a gray color or is it semi gloss black like the Tamiya instructions say? Thanks!

Colin :grin:

It’s “Good Evening” here in Europe but never mind :laughing: !

As far as I know, from about 1941 onwards standard cockpit paint was RLM 66, a very dark grey colour. I would go for that on a 335!

:raising_hand_man:

Magnus

1 Like

Cockpit would be gray, yes. Perhaps the black was meant for the instrument panels and they incorrectly indicated where it went?

1 Like

Yep that’s true!

Thanks, I figured it was something like that.

@brekinapez , maybe, but it looked as though everything in the cockpit was either flat black or semi-gloss black. Thanks though!

:grin:

My HKM instructions for this plane call for RLM 66 with some parts in RLM 02, but not even the IP is black; it is 66 as well which when I look at my other German AC is the case. The gauges have black faces.

1 Like

HKM actually suggests using Tamiya XF-22 for that color.

Why wouldn’t Tamiya suggest that for their kit?

1 Like

Following that, I just went back and looked at my instructions again… Turns out that I missed the few times that Tamiya did say to paint some of the parts in XF-22. Thanks for y’all’s help anyway. :man_facepalming::grin:

I will say though that it would be better if there was something like “Paint all parts in XF-22 unless otherwise noted.” But I can’t blame Tamiya for my blindness LOL

You could look at pictures of the Do 335 A-0 in the Udvar-Hazy Center of the NASM in DC; the cockpit for the A-12 is likely to be the same colors, and the A-0 was restored at the Dornier facility in Oberpfaffenhofen, so presumably has reasonably correct colors:

2 Likes

Sidebar question :thinking:

What’s so radioactive in a German WW2 airplane that it has to have a Radiation Hazard tag?

1 Like

Radium paint on the dials would be my guess.

3 Likes

Sean, thank you.
That makes sense.

1 Like