Dragon M4A2 Tarawa

What would be the Asuka equivalent to that kit? I’m wanting to build a USMC tank with the 55 gallon drum snorkels, and I want to see which kit is easier and cheaper to get.
Thanks guys

1 Like

Isn’t that the one with welded driver’s hoods, made by Fisher? Then there is no Asuka equivalent. I don’t recall off the top of my head if the USMC also had non-Fisher M4A2s, but if so, then Asuka 35-018, Sherman III, would do.

4 Likes

Plus

Maybe add…

4 Likes

Marine Shermans on Tarawa… look at the hull hatch extensions… also no wood planking used at that point on Marine tanks

3 Likes

The Lanmo conversion is exactly what I was going to get, that sucks about Asuka, but doing a bit more digging, it looks like the Dragon British Sicily Sherman Mk III may work too, but I’d have to source tracks , if I can find the kit. Different hoods on that Asuka Sherman III

1 Like

Try out Panda Plastics for the tracks.

www.shermantracks.com

ETA: It seems Panda Plastics is offline for the time being. :frowning:

3 Likes

Alternatively, you can square off the Asuka hoods with some plastic card and putty, build a Fisher-style antenna base, and do a few other small corrections.

2 Likes

FYI, best I recall only 3rd Tank batt. used these on Guam or Iwo Jima.

1 Like

I’ll get this figured out, probably order the Dragon kit from China, this will be my birthday present to myself, so I can go a little wild with this one, that will keep things simple

2 Likes

A US option. Scalehobbyist.com: M4A2 Sherman Tarawa by Dragon Models

Regarding Tarawa
https://www.theshermantank.com/tag/tarawa/

3 Likes

That’s awesome, thanks for the link!!

2 Likes

There is a lot of pictures of the barrel set up on 3rd Marine Tank Battalion Sherman’s on Iwo Jima in the old Squadron book Tank Warfare on Iwo Jima.

3 Likes

David Harper (rip) book is a must if you want to build a Iwo Jima Sherman.

1 Like

I have a bunch of Dave’s books, I’ll dig them out this weekend

2 Likes