Drums and Crates WWII radios | Armorama™

Drums and Crates releases a set of 1/35 scale 3D high resolution resin printed WWII radios.

This is partial text from the full article (usually with photos) at https://armorama.com/news/drums-and-crates-releases-a-set-of-1-35-scale-set-of-wwii-radios
2 Likes

Hmmmm… Well, the only two that I’m really familiar with just off the top of my head are the US SCR-300 (mis-labeled here as the BC-100) and the SCR-536.

The SCR-300 is not very accurate at all. Perhaps slightly better than nothing, but only vaguely resembles the actual radio set. It’s missing the prominent embossing on the case, missing the flip-top cover over the rear half the top panel, and it doesn’t appear to have the brackets for the waist belt (nor any of the other carrying straps, for that matter). The handset isn’t particularly close to the real thing, either.

The SCR-536 looks slightly better, to be fair. The photo, unfortunately, isn’t clear enough to show whether or not it is in fact an accurate, “high resolution” replica of the real thing.

I try to not be so critical on these sorts of offerings. I do appreciate the time and effort needed to do the CAD work, but in this case, the research needed to get either of these two radio sets correct is not especially difficult. There are gobs and gobs of photos available on the ol’ interweb. Additionally, the Technical Manuals for both are available in .pdf form for free from a number of sources. In other words, there’re no excuses for not getting the details right. The only reason to buy something like this is to improve on what’s already available in kit form (and both of these radios can be found in injection molded figure sets), so why would you buy less accurate renditions?

If the other radios offered here are as equally as poor as these two, this set is a “pass” for me.

Hi:

FIRST:
Hmmmmm If you are only familiar with American radio, please don’t assume that “the rest must be bad” to rate this product “pass”.

SECOND:
I’m not an expert, like you, on this issue, by this I use several sources to obtain the necessary data to do this work. For instance I use an prestigious vendor of original military material as “International Military Antiques”. As you can look at its image, the radio is named as BC-1000, even if you look at the original label of the radio you, you can clearly read BC-1000. On other source like radiomilitari.com they named this radio with both names “SCR-300” and “BC-1000”. We could think maybe this radio also can be named as BC-1000.

THIRD:

You say the quality of my printed radio is poor, it’s an opinión but I do not agree. As you can see on the picture the radio is detailed including detachable cover and antenna, the only item is not present in my model is the embossing of the case. You say that on the original this embossment is prominent, but actually it is less than 2mm deep, considering my model is at 1/35 scale, the embossing depth of the model should be 0.05mm, that means 50 micrometers, which is barely visible to the human eye and is below the limits of printing and I imagine injected plastic.
If you look at the image you will see that the cover is removable as well as the antenna and in the image that shows the back of the radio you will see that it has the supports for the belt.
Anyway if you take a look on the comparative image of the actual model and my model they are not quite different taking in mind its sdifferent size.

FOURTH:
About the SCR-536 to be fair, taking in mind it size (10,9 mm high and 3,5 mm wide) its quite similar to the original one.

FIFTH:
I think you have written a destructive post about my models only looking at a single low resolution image, I think it is inappropriate and reckless. To write an article like this, perhaps it would have been appropriate to study the original, and thus give an informed opinion.

SIXTH:
On the other hand, I have looked at all the manufacturers and I have not seen on the market any products about radios from different countries and uses during on the WWII period. I have only seen very few radio kits. The spirit of this product is to offer modelers different radios from different countries to be able to use them in their work.

2 Likes

The technical manual for the SCR-300 radio set is easily found, if the correct designation is used to search for it. Here’s just one of many such sources:

Technical Manual TM 11-242 Radio Set SCR-300-A

The radio set as depicted by the 3D model is the SCR-300.

BC-1000 only refers to the transmitter-receiver component of the radio, not to the set as a whole. The data plate on the top of the BC-1000 only identifies that single component of the entire radio set. Some WWII era US radio sets are composed of many such “basic components,” while others are not. However, in no instance does the “basic component” (BC) designation refer to the entire radio set.

For example, the BC-1000 transmitter-receiver is also a component of the VRC-3 radio set which was installed in the US M4 medium tank, the M5 light tank, and the M24 light tank. (With appropriate modifications, the VRC-3 or the SCR-300, could be installed in other vehicles, too.)

I’ll leave to anyone interested to make their own assessment of the accuracy of the 3D printed model of the SCR-300.

I must say, as a matter of correction, that I did not see the rear top cover nor the short whip antenna, AN-130-A, in the original product photo. Their inclusion is certainly a plus.

The other US radio, the SCR-536 is also readily and easily researched, to include finding the technical manual. Here you’re looking for TM 11-235 Radio Sets SCR-536-A, -B, -C, -D, -E and -F.

Technical Manual SCR-536-(*)

Again, anyone interested can compare the 3D model to the information contained in the technical manual.

For anyone interested, the SCR-536 was called the “Handie Talkie” and not the “Walkie Talkie.” “Walkie Talkie” was used to refer to the SCR-300 radio set. These names were not “official” US Signal Corps nomenclatures, but the original manufacturer, Galvin (Motorola) did use both names in their own product correspondence and their contemporary company advertising.

Because these US radio sets are so easy to research, and in the absence of any other credible information, my concerns about the accuracy of the other items contained in this set remain unchanged.

1 Like

I will admit, i will more often refer to that particular backpack radio as a BC-1000. However you are correct. BC-1000 refers only to the one basic transceiver component whereas SCR refers to the entire assembly.

Just noticed the radio is missing the very visable bead rolls that were stamped into the radio case for improved strength. Thay are what makes this radio distinctive.
Without those i would have to rule that it is not a properly detailed BC-1000. Sorry

1 Like

Why has this been posted here rather than in Armor/WWII Allied???