Dunkelgelb winter camo

I’ve got a Pak 40 model soon to be painted. I’d like it to have a Dunkelgelb base coat, and maybe a heavily weathered winter camo, for an early spring scenic base. What kinds of winter camo did German vehicles/equipment have in the later years of the war with the Dunkelgelb base coats? On a related note, how can whitewash camo be heavily weathered when only brush-painting?

Try semi-dry brushing on some scrap until you get rough or feathery edges. You can also try the hair spray technique: Painting and weathering: in depth hairspray chipping tutorial - YouTube
Since you don’t have an airbrush, you can apply the whitewash with a small piece of sponge. Again, practice on scrap until you get the effect you want.
:grinning: :canada:

Are you dead set against using chipping fluid?

I don’t have any, and only have regular brushes with acrylic paints.

I don’t know if you can get your hands on it where you are, but VMS Chip & Nick white is ideal for winter camouflages and is very easy to use with a paintbrush

I’ve never used it but many modelers use hairspray in lieu of chipping fluid.

My issue is that I would reactivate the hairspray with the water-thinned acrylics.

can hairspray chipping be done with a brush an water-thinned acrylics?

1 Like

Youtube videos on hairspray chipping technique

Another tutorial: https://spikeybits.com/2018/05/10-easy-steps-to-weathering-models-with-hairspray.html
:grinning: :canada:

I realize this model is done over a base of German Gray but the technique is the same.

I used simple grade school white tempura paint for my winter camo. If you happen to over do it your can simply wash it off with water and start again. (that is BEFORE it drys.)

The Germans used regular white wash and applied it with brushes, rags, mops and brooms. It was not intended to last long and would normally wash away almost entirely by Spring.

58b2c3c63d04b37a34c0931f578358ecec082de2_2_345x232

52a140c9c7aad9c70ec61c3e96aba84a47e647c7_2_345x226

Another model done with the same technique: