Early Soviet armor paint color

Currently working on a Soviet KV-1 ehkranami, I settled on a base coat of MR. Color Russian green # 135. seems like a reasonable choice to me that represents

a factory fresh tank. Mr. color is very pleasing to me, diluted with mr color lacquer thinner with no primer beforehand. a very tough finish resistant to damage, sure is toxic though :skull_and_crossbones: what’s the general consensus on this shade of green? seems possible that it is a close match. picture of restored early tank with the light green shade, maybe not the most accurate but what is accurate. seems like most folks are guessing. I plan on some mild weathering.

2 Likes

I remember using AK Interactive Russian Green Spray rattlecan back when i was building a Tamiya T-34/85.

Seems like a dead-ringer to the color on that tank.

I ended up, repainting it with Vallejo Russian Protective Green 4BO, because it looks too light for me.

1 Like

the rattle can looks similar to Mr. color 135, thanks for your reply. interesting subject, seems the russians were hard pressed to be worried about paint consistency. I am going to tone it down a little with pigments etc.

this shade of green presents in so many ways depending on the light source.

2 Likes

its fun to experiment with factory base colors.

nice job on the armor.

1 Like

I used that paint color on my Maquette T-34/76 STZ build

Weathering tones it down quite a bit.

2 Likes

AHA! so this is a good place to start, very encouraging

Yes. I thought that was wayyyyyy tooooo bright when I did the base coat. But after weathering I thought that it looked decent enough. I figured since it was supposedly a color used for tractors and the Stalingrad built tanks were made in the tractor factory there, it would be a good combination.

1 Like

Don’t know if this KV-2 helps, it’s pretty dirty, but it’s supposed to be real, not colorized.

3 Likes

it should have won an award for prettiest tank color 1941 :grin:

1 Like

very interesting, thank you. man, that tank got wacked!

very impressed with Mr. Color thinned 1:1.5 airbrushed beautifully with a 5 nozzle Iwata.

1 Like