Expensive bill for an Osprey pilot

Typical…Americans arrive, make a mess, then leave! :open_mouth: :grin: :grin: :joy:

2 Likes

Was the area surveyed prior to arrival or after departure? In either case, those ‘policies’ apparently need to be updated…

3 Likes

Agreed… this is an old post…

But man, That is great bunch of podcasts…
It is funny and also have substance and a different spin to things I thought we knew…
Thank you Dennis for sharing… :+1:

1 Like

I read, back when Osprey was under development the Coasties got sucked in … voluntarily or no, I’m not sure. They quickly decided it wasn’t for them. The rotor wash was “excessive” when trying to perform rescues at sea, over turning lift rafts and such. (Guess could have used the down wash to blow the raft towards land till the poor bastard in it could walk ashore)

All life rafts to be equipped with a telescopic 5 foot rod and a small triangular sail …

1 Like

I do know they make a UH-1 down right stealthy. Had a flight of 4 fly over, (Suspect they were at NAS Fallon or Marine’s Mountain Warfare Center , down by Bridgeport, for training. Nearest ones , I think are out of Yuma.) in the pattern for Reno-Tahoe International (probably to show off and be insufferable pricks to Air Guard C-130 unit at RNO.) I swear I heard the noisy bastards near 10 minutes before I saw them. They couldnt sneak up on Helen Keller!

Once upon a time many many moons ago I carried a briefcase which had a smallish handle so I had to have one finger outside the handle, effectively resting on the side of the case and I could feel the vibrations caused by small commuter propeller aircraft flying in to land at an airport located almost 5 miles away. Sneaking up on Helen Keller even with a Huey would be tricky
:wink:

I can hear a Huey a minimum of two minutes out in the city. In the bush you can often add a minute. A Blackhawk is even worse. Yet a Loach was on top of you before you knew he was coming. The props on the Osprey are the issue, as the engines are just not all that loud. Trust me; I’ve been within thirty feet of the gas turbine running thru a test.

The down blast is the issue, and it doesn’t matter what it is; it’s gonna be there. Hook up a load on a Chinook sometime! The blast ain’t fun. A Jolly Green might actually be worse, but the down blast velocity is similar. What I wonder as much as anything is what the lightning bolt is like on an Osprey!
gary

2 Likes