F2A-2 Completed

Very nice Carlos ! Nice to see a colorful project now and again.
I’ve been meaning to ask- since your call sign here is Stickpusher , when you start to stall on a build is there an automatic device that shoves you back to the bench ? :smile:

1 Like

@RDT1953, thanks for your kind feedback. I agree about doing a nice colorful build between all of the usual warpaint types.
And no, no automatic device to send me back to the bench when a project stalls… my sidelined shelf is ample proof of that… lol!

Love this. I’d say the weathering is spot on. Not overdone.

Thank you sir. I figured with the pre war Navy, there was lots of time for keeping things looking ship shape. Photos show the aircraft of that time period were kept quite clean.

Well, here it is, my first “Yellow Wings” build in well over 40 years. This is the classic Tamiya 1975 vintage kit, in a later rebox, finished in the markings of VF-2 “Flying Chiefs” circa 1940. This was the first monoplane fighter plane taken into service by the USN. Paints are Tamiya for the aluminum lacquer & Lemon Yellow, Model Master Acrylics for the Chrome Yellow wing upper surface, and Testors enamel square bottle for the True Blue 3rd Section markings. Decals are a mix of kit decals, Microscale & SuperScale, and Yellow Wings Decals. Aside from adding a 3-D decal harness in the cockpit, everything else is OOB for assembly.

Posed on an Eduard US Carrier Flight Deck base that I painted into pre war colors

“Pilots… Man your planes.”

Thanks for looking, comments and critiques are welcome.

14 Likes

Great looking bird love the yellow,and the base

Very nice build Carlos. :+1:

Excellent build, Carlos! Gotta love these civlian loooking warplanes!

Very nice work. We don’t see enough of these colorful pre-war aircraft.

Thanks for your kind words guys!

@Tojo72, yeah yellow is probably the color that gives me the most fits. But in the end, it worked out ok. The base was fun, but had its own speed bumps…

@Tank_1812, Ryan, it’s not a new Tamiya kit for fit and engineering, but it’s an enjoyable old kit.

@ReluctantRenegade, yeah, it’s hard to believe that those standard service colors were used on “war machines” for so long. No attempt at visual concealment whatsoever!

@Spitfire, I’ve got a few more colorful between the wars projects in the pipe or on the soon to do list. Hopefully I can get my P-26 wrapped up before the end of the year.:crossed_fingers:t3:

2 Likes

Lovely build, Carlos! I enjoyed following the progress. Like the last 2 pics “on deck”. I’m also planning to build a Yellow Wing in the near future but not a F2A …

Thank you Torsten! The on deck photos are fun to do. Gives a nice context and scale to the aircraft with the figure.
What sort of Yellow Wings build are you planning?

F4F-3 Wildcat, the new kit from Eduard

2 Likes

This is some inspiring modeling! Thank you for sharing.

Rick L.