Fallschirmjager uniform color

Hi all, i am beginning to put together the Verlinden 1/16 “Go” kit. It’s the fallschirmjager in the door about to jump, picture below. My question is, what color is his uniform? It looks to be field grey or an off shoot of it but im not too sure has anyone built this figure and if so what colors did you use or would you recommend? I’m looking at using field grey from AK interactive. Thanks in advance!

You can use for the jump smock Model Vallejo 70890 Refractive Green, and for the trousers Model Vallejo 70830 German Fieldgrey WWII, according to the Vallejo step by step instructions

1 Like

@Deti9mm thank you, where is this step by step you’re talking about i didn’t know there was one?

There is one if you buy the German Fallschirmjäger set.
Send me a PM

1 Like

The camo smock was in the “Splittertarn” camo pattern.

2 Likes

I think this is an earlier example of the “Knochensack” Jump Smock used by the Fallschirmjäger.

Later image of the “Splittentarn” camouflage jump smocks.

2 Likes

@SableLiger i always get tripped up by the coloring on the early jump smocks. It’s ass if they have field grey pants and an olive jump suit on at times. I remember seeing a few different paint cal outs over the years for dragon fallschirmjager kits. Thank you for the reference photos!

1 Like

To further add; the Splittentarn smocks were also used during the Gran Sasso Raid; the raid to free Benito Mussolini.

1 Like

@SableLiger i do love the splintentarn smock, may have a few figures in the future featuring that.

1 Like

Here is a decent wartime color photo of Fallschirmjager in the early war Olive colored jump smock

Not good for exact color shade reference, but more as a guideline and reference that the trousers were darker than the smock. It was still in use at least thru the drop into Crete, when the camouflage smock also was worn.

Both types of smock are worn in this stick boarding for Crete.

2 Likes

@Stikpusher that almost looks like a luftwaffee gray or grey/blue

1 Like

Here is a good example of the camo smock from the IWM collection

2 Likes

I think it is called “Blaugrau” (blue gray), which was the standard uniform color used by the Luftwaffe, as opposed to “Feldgrau” (field gray) used by the Wehrmacht and the WSS.

1 Like

@SableLiger i bought the Vallejo fallschirmjager paint set, apparently there’s a step by step for this kit so I’m hoping the colors match better then my original idea

1 Like

Just for fun: There’s also this pattern, I believe called a water pattern, with blurred edges and printed on dark yellow/tan background:

:smiley: :canada:

2 Likes

Water or swamp pattern I’ve heard it called. Sumpftarn. It was later also used by the postwar Budeswehr and Grenzschutzgruppe in the late '50s and early '60s

@Stikpusher idk how id even attempt to paint that.

1 Like

In all honesty, either get some decals of the pattern, or experiment with thinned paints to allow the base color to show thru…

1 Like

Airbrush?

Jaume Ortiz has an Osprey book out about painting Fallshirmjager uniforms. I’m sure there are other tutorials online etc, but I’ve been using this book for years. It does take loads of practice though, at least for me .

2 Likes