FC MODEL Trend - some hits but lots of misses

Ok, so I like aftermarket stuff… I bought some model trends 3d prints before (white frosted resin) and they were decent, but now with their enlarged catalogue and new grey resin I decided to upgrade a few items, and replace ones the carpet monster ate…
5 weeks of waiting and I get the package. No instructions of course but ok… And I have seldom been so disappointed with a product.
Only three items were printed on a modern 3d printer, those were a bit soft but better than items they are meant to replace. The rest was printed at a low resolution, not washed or cured correctly and when compared to even decent plastic representations, lacked detail. Also scale was an issue (see image below.). That M2 is more 1/32 scale, has an oval barrel, and below it are a Mosaic model M2 and a Dragon M2 for size and detail comparison.

I contacted FCMODEL Trend and I got ignored of course…
Now some of the stuff is useable (if I pretend there was some battle damage) but at least 2 will go straight into the bin (including the M2)
So far I tried a bunch of 3d print companies (fat frog, Heavy hobby - Lanmo, new Dragon 3d, passion models, Mj Models, Elefant, Mosaic, Gas patch) and FC model trend belongs firmly on the bottom of that list. I have cast resin pieces that look way better. I hope they improve quality, quality control, and final product but as it is now - buyer beware.

6 Likes

FC Modeltrend has been around for a few years now and I don’t know how they are still in business. Their product blows dead squirrels. I got screwed by them about a year ago with a substantial order that when I finally received it, after examining all the pieces, they all went straight in the bin. The parts all were of such low quality that they appeared to be molded out of sand and differed in scale from one end of the part to the other. Not a good usable item among a dozen. Their lack of detail and quality is universal among their products. Save your money and stay far away from FC Modeltrend!
Have bought excellent 3D products from Lanmo, MJ Models, and Trex.

7 Likes

The problem is I could not find any reviews online, just unboxing videos. Otherwise I would not have bothered. I’m sure Terry A. would have been all over this by now.

4 Likes

I had ~$250 order ready for FC Model Trend but their website was down. While waiting on them to recover, discovered just how disappointed customers seemed to be in products purchased.

Decided to write off FCMT as a potential vendor for the foreseeable future.

My limited experience with the 3D parts, TRex, Ryefield Model’s & Heavy-Hobby provided quality parts.

4 Likes

FCMT like Black Dog is aftermarket to purchased when you can see it in your hand, otherwise it’s a gamble and the house usually wins.

5 Likes

I’m sorry to see this. Yeah, stay away from FC Model Turd. FCMT and Shape rob you ways pissed me off so much 2 years ago that I started CADding and 3D printing my own AM parts. Thankfully, I’ll probably not be buying any AM parts in the future. DIY all the way.

4 Likes

Well, I have to say that the service I received from FC Model Trend was nothing short of excellent; I received 2 x AMX 105mm gun barrels, one was slightly bent but as it’s resin shouldn’t be a problem in due course.

Although as yet unmade their TAP Anti-Tank scooter looks a nice little model; all were well packaged and I thought the postage reasonable in the scheme of things. Delivery was timely.

1 Like

I think out of all the .50 cals available in kit form, RYefield, Meng and Dragon have some of the best molded ones.

Ryefield O Sprue (found on most M1Abrams kit, as well as on the JLTV and M-ATV kits.

Meng X Sprue - Most modern kits with an M2 present have this parts tree.

Dragon B Sprue - common with several iterations of the M4 Sherman (M4A2/A3)

AFV CLub X Sprue - common with other vehicle offerings; gives you two vatiants of the .50 the M2HB and the M3 with the lightweight barrel , along with an M1919A4 along with ammo cans and pintles.

5 Likes

Asuka offerings of Ma Duece are good, too but I’ve seen some badly molded ones from their latest batches.

3 Likes

Yes, FCMT are really a hit and miss.
Waiting on a set of their M47/M48/M60 handles.
Don’t know what to expect regarding how those items will be - quality wise.

1 Like

The dragon sprue in the photo I posted are from a J Sprue. This comes from their old/new Firefly VC with added 3d parts (muzzle, antenna, bustle box, light guards and a full set of 3d printed tracks).

2 Likes

So far I’ve had pretty good strike rate with FC stuff - 35988 Norton WD 16H was pretty good and the only available model of this bike in 35th. Aussie Slouch hat head set were also decent, and a couple of sets of Commonwealth troops Western Desert too. All well printed and cured. Purchased both from Spain and at BNA locally. The direct order from FC was in May 2022 and at that point the postage was only 9 €, but would be double that today :pensive:

3 Likes

I have two 3D-printed figures from them and I honestly am not very impressed. The design while flawed is fine but the print itself is just not up to standard. My commercially available printer prints much sharper prints with fewer artifacts.

2 Likes