February 1945 German Newsreel

German newsreel from February 1945 with German wartime commentary.

4 Likes

Lots of very interesting images of Königstiger unloading from train, Sd.Kfz 251/21 Ausf.D "Drilling"s on the move, Panthers with angular striped camo, Jagdpanzer IVs with sheet side shields, etc etc… :+1:

1 Like

Interesting clip of a Panther with 8 foliage-loops on each schĂĽrtzen panel at 9:30. I have not seen these before.

2 Likes

The speaker of the Deutsche Wochenschau during WW2 was Harry Giese
Harry Giese - Wikipedia
or if you prefer the german version
Harry Giese – Wikipedia

1 Like

News reels like this one always fill my mind with dozens of questions.

1 Like

This is easily one of my favorite reels. I’m not sure why, but I have always found the Vistula Oder, East Prussia, Pomerania sectors fascinating. I think it’s the advanced equipment and gear. You have all kinds of late war winter garments from sumpfmuster, to fur (kharkov) parkas, zeltbahns, lots of ankle boots, Stg 44’s and Mkb 42’s. Gewehr 41 and 43’s. Flak 41’s, All kinds of 251 Ausf D’s, All kinds of Panthers with very elaborate camos and very interesting custom details. This late war Eastern Front era is fascinating.

2 Likes

Nathan, if you find that time frame and area fascinating, do you know these books of the german Luftfahrtverlag Start?
Army - lfvs-ens Webseite! (luftfahrtverlag-start.com)

These books are bi-lingual german/english, so it’s no problem for you and me. Honestly, they are not cheap but they are worth every cent. Or in other words they are invaluable. Most of the photos were never published before, they often come from an inheritance. Often they even come in colour. The books have only a small run of a few hundred copies, so an increase of value is inevitable. Maybe you like to get in contact with the publisher.

So far I have bought 4 books from them, 2 Army related and 2 Luftwaffe related. Everytime I look in these books I nearly drool over the photos :smile: These are the 2 I have from the WH section and as you can see I got the “Brandenburg” book only with the english cover, the german version was already sold out.

3 Likes

Thank you! I’m 100% going to get these. I had never heard of them. Thanks!

2 Likes

You’re welcome, Nathan! :slightly_smiling_face:

Axel Urbanke is a well known military historian and his research is in-depth and acknowledged. You can’t go wrong with his books. Since many years I collect his magazines “Luftwaffe im Focus” and have most of them.

1 Like