Ferdinand Nr. 624 Panzerjäger-Abteilung 654

First I apologize for my English, I hope the text will be understandable

I am concerned with the maximum accuracy of the model according to the photo, but I have a few questions.

This particular type is fairly well documented, there are photos from when it was in German hands, as well as several photos of the abandoned machine being towed away by the Russian army and photos from an exhibition in Moscow.

Questions about camouflage

1. Right side of the vehicle - next to the cross, there is a sign on the side of the vehicle, but I am unable to identify what it could be. I can think of a repainted old symbol, but no other machine from Pz.Abt. 654 has nothing similar. Another possibility is something that was field mounted here, but it looks flat, just like it’s in color…but what colors?
  2. The gun cover - looks darker than the yellow base on the rest of the vehicle, is it possible that the shield could stay in the base red color like on the Nr. 501 machine?

Questions about damage - I will write my opinion / theory and I will be happy for a comment or correction, other ideas
3) Sources differ on how the machine was damaged.
My opinion is that the stand has fallen into place - the tracks show that they have rotated in place, the machine is obviously sitting on its “belly”. I would rule out mine damage, the tracks are not damaged.

My theory: The crew left the machine, but did not destroy it (I would rule out a fire in the fighting space, the superstucture is not burnt anywhere. The rear hatch is unscrewed and thrown to the ground - probably during the evacuation of the crew?
The machine stood on the spot for a long time, on the order of several weeks, before the Russians towed it away - the branch in the back part is completely devoid of leaves.
The machine is “stolen and scrapped” - simply everything that could be taken away and would be useful for something is gone, next to the machine lies a discarded radio station and radio operator’s / driver’s seat, light cover. I assume the batteries (which are under the radio operator’s seat) were also taken.
4) Right section - there is visible damage to the wheel, which was later removed during towing - I assume some smaller caliber that just destroyed the cover and damaged the bearings.
5) I identified several minor punctures on the tool box on the left side, there is some smoke visible - I assume the shovel handle was on fire.
6) Smoke on the left side against the coolers - I assume a hit that didn’t go through + a hit from Molotov - it’s smoked here, the smoke extends to the upper part of the superstructure.
In other photos, the gun itself and the frontal armor look charred - the green pattern, which is quite visible on a functional machine, is no longer visible. I assume there was a Molotov hit, but is it possible that only the exterior parts would burn without the interior of the engine compartment?

Why am I solving it like that, I will have an exposed radiator area and I am also solving the entire interior and I am thinking about what kind of damage to do here to make it as faithful as possible.

Does anyone have any more detailed information on the actual damage to this machine please?

Thanks to all!

Not making any definite assertions, but Ferdinands were notorious for mechanical failure, and electric engine fires, due to it’s immense weight. Crews sometimes bailed out at the first sign of smoke! That round rear hatch was rarely (or never) used for bailing out as it weighed several hundred pounds; it’s primary purpose was for maintenance and replacing the gun. I believe it was bolted on, and not hinged.
Corrections welcome! :thinking:
:smiley: :canada:

Hi Spirit

I’m going through Munch’s Combat History of PzAbt 654 in search of answers.

RH side next to cross symbol – I’m sure this question has been debated before on this website only a few months ago, with no clear answer. I remember suggesting it might have been a coat-of-arms of the city the crew (or the commander Bohling) came from. Munch doesn’t refer to it.

Gun shield darker colour - There are several photos in Munch that also seem to show a different shade on the gun-shield, but most look to be the same shade i.e. dark yellow. No answer.

Damage details:

624 was commanded (probably) by Feldwebel Bohling. On 5th July 1943 (Orel salient, Kursk) the 2nd company (6** series numbers) with a platoon of BVIV radio-controlled vehicles blundered into one of their own (unmarked) minefields. Several BV’s blew up & several of the Ferds were put out of action as a result. Eventually a lane was cleared through the minefield and the 4 remaining Ferds advanced. Russian infantry with flame throwers attacked them, Commander Noak was injured during this attack which included concentrated anti-tank gun barrages.

On 6th July near Ponyri the 2nd company survivors knocked out 13 Russian tanks. By 8th July the 2nd company had 6 Ferds running. After continuous engagements, on 13th July the 2nd company knocked out another 13 Russian tanks. In late July the 2nd company survivors were withdrawn to Orel, but only had one Ferd running by 29th July.

There are several detailed personal accounts from crew-men in the Munch book. One (Hartung) mentions Bohling’s Ferd had been damaged (possibly on 16th July) & his loader wounded. Hartung says “crews most frequently suffered casualties when they had to leave the vehicle for some reason” (this was exactly why Noak was wounded) “…most (vehicle) losses were the result of mechanical defects”.

I’m not sure that’s true at all except maybe when Ferds broke down, and then became sitting-duck targets for anti-tank guns and aerial attacks. Hartung was himself wounded and evacuated to Germany so couldn’t have known anything about final damage reports. Most losses were at least initially the result of being disabled by mines according to German records. Some argue it was more politically correct to blame mines, rather than mechanical breakdown.

Munch says 624 was disabled due to track damage i.e. mines. More detailed evidence about 623 confirms it was disabled by a “wood-crate mine”. The Russians later used the immobilised 623 for a propaganda film showing Russian infantry “attacking” it & setting fire to it. As we know they saved 624 for evaluation, restored it to working condition & eventually it went to the Kubinka museum.

In summary, I think it’s fair to say most if not all operational Ferds were repeatedly hit by a variety of Russian munitions on a daily basis, most of which caused only superficial damage. Whatever damage you think is visible on 624 can be replicated.

1 Like

Abandoned Ferdinands left on the battlefield and recovered by Russians were often used for target practice, both for ballistic tests, and for propaganda purposes. But it’s true - isolated Ferdinands became targets for concentrated fire from the Russian Pak-fronts. When their supporting panzers were knocked out, and infantry dispersed, the Ferdinands became sitting ducks!
:smiley: :canada:

I think with the large rear hatch gone, the crew blew demo charges.

Hi Dioramartin
Thank you for the detailed analysis :+1:

2 Likes

This is just a speculation on my part, but I think a blast strong enough to get the back cower off would probably crack/ blow off more stuff, espacially on the roof. Edit: I stand corrected. The gunshield IS in fact cracked and moved forward.

1 Like

The vehicles were equipped with demo charges and the crews were instructed to use them after abandoning them.

1 Like