Ferret Upgrades and Conversions from SMM | Armorama™

Scorpion Miniature Models has 12 new upgrade/detail sets and conversions for Airfix Ferret kit.

This is partial text from the full article (usually with photos) at https://armorama.com/news/ferret-upgrades-and-conversions-from-smm
3 Likes

That Ferret is really getting me interested in it. I think the last Airfix kit I built was as a kid in the 70s. This model looks very good and now SMM has all these upgrades. May have to go for it.
( and I’m trying to reduce my stash- what a joke !)

1 Like

12 replacement sets and nothing for the scale 5" thick vision port covers? Granted, they can be scratchbuilt, but it seems to me they would be first on the list for obvious replacement. I want a Ferret, so I’ll be getting a few of these. (And scratching vision port covers!)

Just purchased mine from Hornby Hobbies, $42.99 all said and done. I’ll probably get at least replacement wheels and other aftermarket stuff from SMM.

1 Like

The replacement wheels are first class, I have those and the Clansman antenna base and antenna set. Waiting to see if SMM produce any internal components for my Mk2. I’ll probably get another and build it as a Mk1 to replicate a 33A callsign which was an armoured regiment Squadron Sergeant Major’s vehicle.

1 Like

Yes, these are coming. Just be patient, please. I am one person doing all this.

2 Likes

An interior set is on it’s way.

2 Likes

Michael, stay cool; we are all in awe of your work!

2 Likes

New SMM Ferret Sets. I should explain. I am doing the Ferret sets individually, so that customers can pick and choose exactly what they need for any one vehicle, much as I did for Centurion.

For instance, the Mk.1 has three different radio set ups, three different armament choices, several different choices of sidelights, square or angular driver hatces. A huge variation. All will be available separately instead of one big, confusing kit.

Then there are other options of a basic Ferret detail set to improve the kit hatches/PE exhaust guard/etc + AN INTERIOR SET if wanted (not everyone will). Turreted Mk.2 (early small turret), Mk.2/2 and Mk.2/3 (Airfix replacement) will also follow.

ALSO - Longer term, 2 more different hampers, PSP planking, Sharjah conversion with sand tryes, Mk.2/6, Mk.4 and Mk.5, and an engine will follow.

Ferret is almost as confusing as Centurion, which is why I’ve chosen this route. Sorry I cannot do everything at the same time.

7 Likes

Great to hear the wheels are first rate. The wheels are a must for me seeing how the kit wheels have no lettering on them. I’ll wait til I get the kit to decide what other aftermarket stuff to get.

1 Like

Michael, you’re The Man! As I’m sure others will concur.

2 Likes

I would concur based on the products I have purchased from him. I wait patiently for the other Ferret products, this one will have to wait in line due to other projects of course.

1 Like

I am a seriously happy camper, I’ll be able to build the first vehicle I ever signed for as a driver. Glad to hear back baskets (ours being very low with integral jerrycan holders) and PSP planking are coming also, it’s proving quite hard to get any PSP as that was what we had in Cyprus instead of the angular sand channels.

4 Likes

I can tell you I’m workin’ on the sand tyres as well as full engine compartment for Mike! All this work takes time, but it’ll be worth the wait if you want your perfect Ferret.

2 Likes

Sorry Michael, didn’t mean to sound contrite. Didn’t know there were more sets in the works. I will patiently wait for the other Ferret releases. Your products are second to none!

1 Like

The vehicle is so small that you could carry folding chairs in the hamper for when you stop. A tarp, some folding chairs and you are all good. Home sweet home.

1 Like