Figures 1:16 Prices

Why are 1/16 figures so expensive. So far there only seem to be resin which have factors that keep prices high. But why hasn’t anyone done a styrene set like so many 1/35 sets with a reasonable price. Some figures are over $50 each. It would cost me as much or more than the price of some kits for a two man crew. Is there some technical issue with 1/16 figures in styrene?

1 Like

I believe it’s simply demand, not technical issues. Dragon had an extensive series of 1/16 figures years ago, and of course Tamiya has a few as well. But obviously the market isn’t there and it’s not worth the manufacturers’ expense. The few that have been released in recent times have simply been crews to go with the same companys’ 1/16 releases - i.e. Classy Hobby, AHHQ, Takom, etc. Of course, when Dragon was producing their figures there was not the surge in 1/16 plastic kits that we are seeing now so perhaps the mindset of manufacturers’ may change.

Having said that, while I realize that 1/16 resin figures are expensive, the majority still put any 1/16 styrene figure to shame so I consider them worth the expense since they will end up being the focal point. Jeff Shui’s resin figures have fantastic poses and details, as an example.

1 Like

No question as to the superior quality, but I reach my point of diminishing returns far below their price points. I do have hope as there seems to be a growing number of reasonably priced 1/16 vehicles that hopefully will continue to grow.

1 Like

Best to shop around. And choose your maker, Sol Figures, ex Korea are 45$ a figure, whereas H3, also Korea, are 65$ a figure. By comparison, Dynamo, France, are 35€ but on sale, 29.75€, or approximately 32$US which is a fair price when you’re buying multiple figure, like their Waffen SS Panzer crew.

“Expensive” is relative.

1 Like

There are any 1/16 models new on market, I’m sure some more will come. Das Werk and Andy’s will bring any for sure. I think it’s just a question of time until cheaper figures are there too

1 Like

There are some 1/16th options out there. I just ordered a GI walking with an M1 Garand from Andy HHQ for $15 along with a couple of other kits. I don’t know how good it is yet. But as always, shipping is a killer if I would of ordered just the figure.
I second jfeenstra’s Jeff Shiu as “worth it” for the price. Damn, I wish I was rich and had lots of time !
I’ve JUST started looking into 3D printed figures. But, you have to have a printer or know somebody with one. (Son in Law)
Hang in there, with all the 1/16th kits coming out it’s just a matter of time before somebody fills the void!

1 Like

Das Werk are re-releasing some of the Dragon 1/16 range and I think DML themselves have re-issued a few as well. These and the Tamiya figures just don’t compare with the HQ resin sculpts though, and comparatively the price differential plastic/resin is much the same as it is in 1/35. Given the scale, flaws are accentuated, so you get what you pay for I guess.

1 Like

That is a great question for discussion. I believe that 1/16 is the new 1/35. LOL! I do have to make an exception to one of the statements concerning Mr. Jeff Shu figures. I purchased a set from him several months ago for my Stug III (1/16). Although the poses were exceptionally well posed, the details were marginal at best. The hands, weapons, and some additional gear were, I felt, way below expectation. The figures needed, in one case, major arm/ shoulder fill-in. A huge gouge at the base of the arm was there. A great big empty chunk requiring major arm “surgery.” The rifles and machinegun were very soft in detail and a couple needed the barrels removed and rebuilt using plastic rod. I am very familiar with resin figures and have come to know the work that is to be expected. Unfortunately, this was beyond the pale. Where was his quality control?. I actually was quite excited concerning the figures, as I had heard great things of Jeff and his figures. I hope that i was the exception rather than the norm. If he would like to send me a set for evaluation, i would be happy to critique! Please do not think I am dumping…just as stated, surprised of the quality vs. the hype. If you can, pay the difference and go SOL or most any other 1/16 offering companies. Caveat Emptor.

1 Like

1/16 military figures are so niche that the research, time, effort, and labor involved increases the price for these 120mm figures. Especially for modern 1/16 military figures, they are so few and far between that many resin companies and sculptors went out-of-business due to lack of sales. Factor in the accuracy and scale of the 1/16 items involved, and the price increases. That is because when it comes to resin figure casting, the limit on a mold before it loses its details is 100 copies, sometimes less.

If you want cheaper 1/16 (120mm) or even 100mm figures just to paint and you don’t care for accuracy or the military topic, then look at ETSY for 3-D printed figures.

Perhaps another more hidden reason is that most of these 1/16 figures are made overseas so maybe there is some price gouging to make a profit from those who buy them.

1 Like

I compare the price of figures to the price of models and with the full kits coming out of Das Werk, Takom, and Andy’s, the prices really stand out against the prices of the models, which are good quality. It makes the models seem more of a bargain than ever.

1 Like