Filling 3D ripples

Hi All,

I have a 3D printed part that has ripples running across its width. I’m told some primers will “fill in “ these imperfections.

Any ideas on which primer to use. I have Badger Stynlriz and Vallejo primers, plus Tamiya.

TIA

I use various Rustoleum primers. I believe some of them say self leveling or something to that effect right on the can.

Thanks for that. Happy to shell out c$50 for this but I was also wondering if any of the hobby primers would work.

I have heard that Mr. Surfacer can be used as primer and filler for these kind of small imperfections, but I do not have direct experience.

I have Tamiya primer. I use it for priming my locomotives as they usually have many different colored components. It seems very fine - I dont know how well it fills. Plus one can is 100ml.
A can of Rustoleum is 340g and costs about the same, and I know the Rustoleum works.

1 Like

@ 18bravo. Which Rust-Oleum Primer? Can you be more specific?

—mike

This is one:

5 Likes

Through my experince, an automotive filler primer will be your best choice. However, it may leave the surface gritting feeling and can only level the surface to a point.

1 Like

Not sure of cost, but Ive seen a you-tube dude use plain ordinary Talc with UV curing resin

This.I’ve finished numerous printed planes using nothing fancier than primer plus talc.

My go-to-fix uneven 3D print surface is Mr. Surfacer 1000 or 1200. Good stuff.

1 Like

I have been asked to paint a 3D printed Yoda Child figure and a 3D Politician Bust and have used the 600 grit Surfacer for filling up those ripples. It took me some 3 layers (apply - dry - sanding as a process on all) to get near to a smooth finish. The last layer was 1200 grit Surfacer.
However the hair was so nicely designed that I had to be very careful not to overdo the above process.
As I know the lower the Surfacer grit is, the better to fill-up the deeper ripples. The higher Surfacers can only fill up light scratches caused by unintentional X-acto knife scratches or light hits with the knife tip.

I think I saw that same guy, was going to say check the youtubes. Daverig “hide layer lines on 3d prints” and " Hide 3D print layer lines with Baby Powder and UV resin".

2 Likes

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I blew 2 coats of Vallejo primer over it (the second was yesterday). I’ll see how that turned out this morning. :thinking:

Didnt work, so either sanding (grade?) or primer/filler.

Any suggestions?

You probalby know this, but when sanding, use something semi rigid, like a foam sanding stick. Otherwise your sanding medium may flex down into the grooves and make it very difficult to achieve the smoothness you want.

1 Like

Got it thanks.