Fireball XL5 build

This is my new project on the bench. Got this at Telford last year.

5 Likes

OMG! Fireball5…You just brought back some childhood memories…I loved that
show!
Hope there are figures included!
Cheers,

1 Like

No unfortunately no figures. A resin kit with some etch.
I watched it as a kid too, I recently downloaded the whole show, and it’s great to watch again.

Pete

No figures… to bad…the characters were great…well, enjoy building the spaceship and do post more pics of your progress.
Cheers,

gerry anderson at his best

Some more work on Fireball XL5

Pete

4 Likes

Some more work on XL5.
Build is finished, just need to finish the paint on red and yellow areas

6 Likes

This is looking great!..what brand paint are you using for the metallic?
Cheers,

DSC00020

Love it!

1 Like

Grauwolf
I am using Alcalad II and AK Metallica.
Red and yellow will be Tamiya.
I have decided to build a base in the shape of the launch pad used in the programme.
Cheers
Pete

1 Like

Thanks Pete.

Wow, never thought anyone would make a model of the XL5. At 18 inches of solid resin, it must weigh a ton. I hope the launcher will be strong enough.

Looks great Pete.

Thanx mate. Yeah it is heavy so a substantial frame will be needed.

Pete

2 Likes

Still some work to do on XL5 decals and the blue hoops on the fuselage next on the list. Some touch ups and the base to construct. But here is a progress picture.

Pete

6 Likes

it’s looking great so far mate, keep posting those update pictures.

Well I finally finished Fireball XL5. Changed my mind about the launch pad base…well for now. I need to think about materials for it as it is really heavy and plastic launch pad wont cut it on it’s own. Maybe some metal integrated into it would work. Until then I have made a solid clear stand for it to sit on. The kit I would recommend as its straightforward to build and it is a great kit. Anyway here are the finished pics.

Pete

7 Likes

Absolutely sensational Pete. It is definitely one that will catch the eye!

Thanks for posting this thread.

Hi Petbat
Thanks for the kind comments. A very enjoyable build and a great kit, although pricey. Loved the show as a kid and had a toy of XL5, so when I saw the kit at scale model World last year I couldn’t resist it.
Thanks again for looking and commenting.

Pete

Love the finished look Pete, its brought back alot of childhood memories of watching it on TV many moons ago. Lovely model and thanks for reminding me how old I actually am lol … :+1:

Lol no worries John.
Thanks for the comments