First Diorama 1:35 Sherman - St. Mere Eglise

After 30 years away from modeling, recently got back in it and created my very first Diorama. Titled it “Let’s Go Boys!” and was a gift to my father for Christmas. Set in the “hedgerows from hell” and based around St. Mere Eglise. Not totally accurate, but a good test for me and something to build my skills upon.

17 Likes

Welcome back and a good effort on your return.

1 Like

Thank you. Techniques have come a long way since I left the hobby, that’s for sure. Learned A LOT from building this and have a long way to go, but that’s the joy I’ve found in it. Patience, practice and striving to improve.

1 Like

That looks really good!

1 Like

Looks really good.Congratulations

1 Like

Looks great man , nicely done !!

1 Like

Welcome back to the hobby. I like your dio. From the one shot you provided it looks as if you did a good job one paint and weathering. I like as well your layout and the interaction of the figures. Very convincing.
Wish you lots of fun with your next builds.
Do not hesitate to post more pics on that one.

Cheers Michael

1 Like

Welcome back and yeah, post more photos as you build more! Nice job so far!

1 Like

Welcome on board!

Nice Dio. Look forward to seeing more.

1 Like

Sweet Dio Ian, and welcome back.
You have really captured the scene there with lots of movement and action and you get a genuine feel of what’s happening. Very nice :+1::+1:

2 Likes

Sure looks really nice! Nice muddy ground!

1 Like

Common Ian, ya post more pics, plz :wink:

1 Like

What they’ve said, I’d like to see the rest of this dio first, and then the next one :clap: :tumbler_glass:

2 Likes

Thanks everyone, for the warm welcome and positive comments! Definitely see many things I’d take more time on and change, but as I said, for a first dio I feel happy with it and best of all, my father loved it. I wish I had taken better pictures, but I was in a rush to get it done by Christmas…hence some of the shortcuts taken on the build, like not sanding the seams on the infantry miniatures which bugs the crap out of me now :wink: But here’s one more angle right before I did the last bit of weathering.

I’m working on a new Sherman build and feel like my skills are evolving better. I’ll post an in-progress photo of that shortly. Thanks again for the positive vibes!

4 Likes

Work-in-Progress Sherman. Still have a good amount of weathering, blending and build to do but happy so far for how it’s coming out. Cheers!

8 Likes

That Sherman looks really good!
Im currently painting a M4a3 and hope it comes out looking half as good.

1 Like

What a nicely built and painted sherman

1 Like

As the other guys had said already, welcome:) I love dioramas and your are really great to be the first one . Much better than my first one! Keep them coming! /Erik

2 Likes

Thank you! I’ve actually seen some of your work on YouTube! I was especially in awe of your “Brecourt Manner Assault”. Incredible work!

And thanks everyone for the positive messages on my first Dio. I’m getting close to finished with my new M4a3E8 Sherman build, so I’m thinking about the dio I want for this build right now. I’m thinking a bombed out German village scene, or perhaps a muddy farm outskirt. So many ideas running through my head. Thanks again!

1 Like

Update on new M4a3E8 I’m building. Lots of blending and unification to do, but it’s getting there. Still want to make some more weathering effects but will leave that off until I know what Dio scene I want to make.

If there is a better place to put Sherman builds in, I’ll do so, but I’m new to the site so forgive me. Thanks!

I think the lighting in my workshop is bad. The photos are horrible. I need to invest in a daylight lamp!

4 Likes