First in; last out

That was a phrase used by Jentz & Doyle to describe German assembly practice on tank assembly lines. It’s found in Osprey Book “Tiger l Heavy Tank 1942 - 45”, by the above authors. The practice is, for those who haven’t heard of it, is when a new supply of parts is delivered to the factory, it’s dumped in front of any previous parts; no rotation of parts When the new parts are used they will continue with the older parts until they, too, are used up. Consequently, there will be newer production models with mixed features (as long as the fit was compatible). Now, this comment was made in the context of Tiger tank production; can anyone comment on if this was practiced in other tank production?
:smiley:

1 Like

Bump up! :thinking:

Yes, once I made a post on the old site about how people differentiate the Pz4 F2 and Pz4 G only with the muzzle brake, which my argument was that it is a minor attachment piece, which can be easily replaced.

Someone cited the same argument as your from somewhere, said that the new stock of equipement would get used 1st, and the old ones later, therefore it difficult to make the difference between the Pz4 F2 and Pz4 G, which many other commented that they as well be the same vehicle, and the source for the muzzle brake differentiation is quite old and even outdated in some area.

1 Like

My archieved post:
https://archive.armorama.com/forums/268199/
And an older one that is more straight to your point:
https://archive.armorama.com/forums/14812/

I grow up in a industrial plant . This was a usual practice. You dont have enough place to work in order to use de old parts firts. I think its the same practice.

1 Like

I was only asking other’s opinions on this because I was getting into a heated argument with an “Experten” and self-described authority on another armor site who claimed I was totally wrong, it never happened, and that he was totally right! :rage:

If anything, there were some Pz4 D, which has stepped front upper plate, with Panzer G gun, one of them is in the England tank museum, is quite a proof for such argument.

Since its hull production was stopped nearly a year prior to the use of the Kwk L43 on the F2/G version.

Same thing happened with the Pz3, some vehicles had old hulls and long gun, but the hull production ceased before the long gun introduction.

Skepticism is needed when referring to museum pieces. Some vehicles, which were incomplete or damaged, were finished with home-made parts, or parts cannibalized from other vehicles (not necessarily from the same type, or mark). There is a Panther G in Ottawa War Museum with imitation Zimmerit - neatly done, but in a non-standard pattern.
BTW: I’m not doubting you, just sayin…