First Sergeant Donald Don Wardaddy Collier, Tank Commander Fury | Armorama™

A superb figure painter Christos Katselos and his stunning work on the First Sergeant Donald "Don" "Wardaddy" Collier, Tank Commander, 66 Armour Regiment, 2nd Armoured Division "Fury"

This is partial text from the full article (usually with photos) at https://armorama.com/news/first-sergeant-donald-don-wardaddy-collier-tank-commander-fury
2 Likes

Fury, great movie !

Nicely done figure, perhaps a bit too clean for a soldier tired by war:

Perfect haircut, no abrasion, cuts, dirt on face and clothes.

That is a 1/16 LIFE MINIATURES resin figure.

https://www.lifeminiatures.com/1-16-scale

3 stripes and one rocker seems to be a Staff Sgt, not a First Sgt. Every US Army First Sgt chevron I’ve ever seen had a diamond in center, I’ve seen 3 stripes 2 rockers, and 3 & 3 as WWll First Shirts, but always included the diamond.
Any experts have more info?

In the movie he was the acting 1SG, his rank was SSG though.

1 Like

OK, that explains it, thanks.

I think Brad Pitt did a good job portraying the crusty, seasoned war veteran NCO in “Fury”.

Some of the figures I’ve seen out there look great and capture that “Seen too much” trait typical of a very salty combat solider like “Wardaddy”.

1 Like

Up until 1942, First Sergeant insignia was two rockers and a diamond. The third rocker for First Sergeant, along with the various technician “T” rank chevrons were added in 1943.

US Army WWII ranks

1 Like

Which explains why Burt Lancaster has 3 up, 2 down, and a diamond in the movie “From Here to Eternity”…it was set in 1941. I wondered when that changed, my Uncle was a First Sgt in (late) WWll ETO, I have his chevrons…3up, 3 down w/diamond.
One learns something every day.

1 Like

In the movie he starts out as just a tank commander, SSG. He gets moved up to platoon Sgt. I don’t remember him getting moved up to 1SG, I may have to dig out the DVD and watch it again.
And yeah, he is not dirty enough!
Ken

1 Like

Very well done!
Too bad you can’t replicate the sweetheart grip, but that really would be asking a lot.

1 Like