Flak towers Wood Frame - Seeking reference, information & pictures

Looking for information on this type of Flak tower often used with 2cm & 3.7 cm Flak.

Model kit or scale plans for a tower are of interest.

Thank you :blush:

Not looking for information on the big concrete monster Flak towers.

9 Likes

Wade, hi; the pic below is taken from the ancient Bellona Prints (remember them?) facsimile copy of a WW2 German field work manual:

Seems like a lot of effort just to position an MG; as it is indeed an MG it may not be of much use to you as you have stated your interest is for machine cannons, however, I would have thought a single barrelled 20mm cannon might also be applicable to the structure.

7 Likes

Just beef up the timbers a bit

Guns want field of fire, up high gets you a horizon free from obstacles

3 Likes

Here’s a tower for a 20 mm gun

H.P.

7 Likes

1/72nd scale kit from Dolp Modellbau

H.P.

5 Likes

Oh whoa. Totally stealing this idea.

3 Likes

H.P.

6 Likes

Thank you, everyone!

This is exactly the sort of information, I was hoping to see!

3 Likes

This may be worth looking at: German Army Manuals Of World War II.

It is a reference book for finding German World War II manuals via libraries and research institutions.

5 Likes

H.P.

6 Likes

More views of the WW2 German field work manual in Brian’s post :

The whole manual can be found here :

https://bunkermuseumhanstholm.dk/media/1351/bildheft-neuzeitlicher-stellungsbau-161944.pdf

H.P.

7 Likes

I have this kit in the stash. I do not know how accurate it is but it is huge. I have had this for a long time.

5 Likes

@gharker Greg, that’s pure gold, an incredible artifact! I recognize that kit! If you’re interested in selling it or trading it please let me know.

Would love to see pictures on the contents and instructions if that isn’t too much trouble.

I’ve seen one built ong ago in the early 1990’s in an old Military Modeler magazine. I can’t recall what issue.

The magazine had enough quality pictures, I attempted a Mark One Eyeball copy. Never had any luck locating a kit for sale.

3 Likes

What is it made of?

2 Likes

Mostly balsa wood I guess…

https://www.ebay.de/itm/335160551589?customid=&toolid=10050

H.P.

2 Likes

I’ve been racking my brains trying to remember a German manufacturer of wooden kits from, I think, round about the 80s; they were marketed in the UK, had “Holz” in the title (obviously) and included a bunker, anti-tank obstacles, a watchtower and a small trestle bridge. The box art generally showed the kits in colour depicting Tamiya kits with the aforementioned items. Contents were indeed, wood, ply strip and so on. I had their bunker kit for a while but it never came to fruition; back then I only dabbled very occasionally in the hobby whilst on leave, but never consistently. I think I still have a watchtower somewhere, not the packaging/instructions.

I have no idea as to authenticity but they sure looked good on the model shop shelves.

2 Likes

I’ve done a bit of digging and have identified these 2 from the same series:

1_b4a67718548d6d020d563492407eecd3

Frustratingly, no matter how much I use Google translate or invoke what little lateral-thinking I have left, I can’t find the watchtower one; so effectively, this adds no value whatsoever to the thread(!)

4 Likes

I didn’t have the MPD kit but somehow I got the instructions, which IIRC included all the stock sizes and cutting dimensions. I don’t know if I still have it but it should be in Greg’s kit.

KL

1 Like

H.P.

4 Likes

I do not want to sell it. But I will tell you that I bought it for cheap at a model shop closing sale. It is probably basswood. The instructions are so large that they do not fit a normal scanner.

5 Likes