Flakpanzer IV

Would 9th SS Panzer, 10th SS Panzer have had Mobelwagen and Wirblewind (on paper at least, a Flak Zug had 2 Mobelwagen and 2 Wirblewinds) at Arnhem? Or would Panzer-Division Feldherrnhalle had the mix at Budapest?

Seems to me that I saw a photograph of whirblewind. in Arnhem. But as you know, both battle groups left most of their armor behind in France. So it is possible

According to the Concord book, German Armored Units at Arnhem, 9. SS has 3 Möbelwagens and 1 Sdkfz. 10/4, while 10.SS had 7 Sdkfz. 7/1 in their Flak Abteilungs during the battle.

1 Like

I think you’re thinking of this picture, reportedly belonging to “Hohenstaufen”. This is a Mobelwagen “Furniture Van”, not a Wirbelwind which had a rotating turret. mobel wagen at arnhem - Bing images
One authority (Martin Block) has them receiving 8 in September 1944. However the link to this information, given here: Möbelwagen Deliveries - 9 SS Panzer Division - Axis History Forum doesn’t work for me.
In unit organisations, the Wirbelwind/Mobelwagen vehicles replaced the Sdkfz 7/1 in Panzer Regiment HQ Flak platoons. The Sdkfz 10/4 and /5 vehicles belonged to the light company of the Flak Abteilung.

1 Like

Was leaning towards 9th SS / 10th SS for the two kits I have. I have the decals already. Feldherrnhalle , I’d need to get decals for, but the crew figures I have have winter parkas … And Budapest being late 44/early 45 there was more likely a “paper” TO&E.

Allegedly this photo was taken in Budapest. Feldherrnhalle and 13th Panzer were the only 2 panzer units in Pest, as far as I can tell. I’m not sure likely users on the Buda side of the river. (Fedherrnhalle made it to the west side of the river, but not sure what equipment they managed to get over. )

That’s quite a photo! I note the plane stuck in the side of the building. I’d suggest the “112” is a Soviet count number for captured/destroyed enemy vehicles, rather than an original call sign number. I’d be interested to know what the decals are for “Hohenstaufen” or “Frundsberg” at Arnhem. AFAIK “Hohenstaufen” were pretty lackadaisical about putting any markings on their armour apart from generic crosses (there’s a well known picture of an Sdkfz 250 marked 7203 which fits into no numbering scheme that I can detect, so presumably to deliberately confuse!) and despite their divisional sign being shown by many authorities as the white sword through the “H”, I’ve never seen a photo of a tank with that mark on. There are some around of soft skins bearing the variant of a blue sword and H on a yellow field edged blue.

I’m curious as to the aircraft type in that photo. It’s not a Shturmovik, based upon the tail profile. Perhaps a Yak or a 109?

I think it’s one of the Luftwaffes gliders! I’m currently reading “From The Realm Of The Dying Sun IV SS Panzer Korps from Budapest to Vienna” By Douglas Nash Sr. Fantastic book BTW. It mentions the Luftwaffes attempt to resupply the garrison by way of anything, including gliders that crash landed all over the place. Can you imagine being one of those pilots?

I think this is is the DFS-230 glider of sergeant Georg Filius, who crashed into the wall of an apartment house â„–37 on Attila street when attempting to land on the Bloody Meadow in the Battle of Budapest in February 4, 1945