Flakpanzer V Mock-up

Or more accurately:
3.7 cm Flakzwilling auf Panther Fahrgestell 341

Wanted to build a relatively accurate model of the only mock-up of this vehicle. The HobbyBoss Flakpanzer V Ausf A kit at least gives you the correct shape of the turret mock-up, but made to represent what a production version might have looked like. The mock-up turret was made out of wood, even using fake barrels to represent a new design 3.7cm cannon. Near as I can tell, only five photos of this vehicle exist, and I based my modifications on them.

The mods consisted of removing all protruding turret details, covering up the weld joints, and adding thin covers where the hatches would be. I used barrels from the old Dragon “Coelian” kit as they have solid muzzle ends, and filled in the slots and perforations.

The kit’s Ausf D chassis has its issues as noted in reviews but these didnt concern me. The vehicle in the photos did not have any panniers, tools, racks, etc. so all required holes were filled in.

The kit’s painting instructions call for panzer gray, but that would be incorrect as a production one would have been yellow like everything else. The mock-up was rolled out in early 1945 and the photos indicate it is painted in dunkelgelb. Looks like even the rubber parts of the wheels and possibly the tracks were over-sprayed.

Everything is primed and ready for the color and light weathering process. Waiting on a set of Quick Tracks and masks.

4 Likes

4 Likes

Photos of the mock-up. Note the block holding the barrel housing up. Doesnt it look like the wheels and tracks are over-sprayed? Or it it just me…

3a
4crop

2 Likes

Quicker to the trigger than me. LOL.

1 Like

Looks like overspray to me. I wonder if this hull was being used for some other project and had to fill in quick for the mockup?

1 Like

Don’t forget to add the side mirror!

1 Like

And the extra light…made and will add later =)

To my mind, it was probably a repaired field recovery, and spruced up for the presentation. Rheinmetall probably had a couple in the motor pool. Mein herr looks pleased with the results.

1 Like

No hull periscopes…

1 Like

That guy just looks really short next to that vehicle.
Ken

1 Like

Update 1. Painting has started. My intent is to do a “redbase” on the hull…white marbling over the primer, some black pre-shading, and Dunkelgelb color coat variation; finished with some light weathering. The turret will get a very light pre-shade, then an even coat of Dunklegelb with minor post-shading; minimal highlighting in lieu of weathering. My goal is to have a mismatch between turret and hull…though not so evident in the photos, they are different materials after all. Painted the wheels (thank you QuickMask!), and laying down colors on tracks (OMG QuickTracks are amazing!! 45 minutes to connect 170 some odd links! Broke only four…) . Wheels are a little overdone, but the plan is to spray a final dusting of lightened Dunkelgelb over the entire track/wheel assemblies once complete. The goal is to attempt (!!!) that overspray on the original =P

2 Likes

I believe the turret was made of wood…

1 Like