FMC Double Door Boxcar | RailRoad Modeling

See this HO FMC 5503 DOUBLE DOOR BOX CAR from ATLAS? It is part of their MASTER LINE series. This model is decorated for GOLDEN WEST SERVICE.

This is partial text from the full article (usually with photos) at https://railroadmodeling.net/news/fmc-double-door-boxcar
1 Like

I meant to add that I found a photo of the prototype GVSR 780002, with moderate weathering and graffiti.

How fortuitous! Ever since photographing this and two other like boxcars at FWWR’s headquarters a couple of months ago I’ve been looking for one with no luck. This one even has the correct number of external ribs on each side. Perfect! I’ll be buying more than one. While it’s true the ends aren’t quite the same they’re easy enough to swap out.

1 Like

Sweet find!

I also noticed that the real 780002 has what looked like Youngstown doors, different than those on the model.

I’m really digging the ones on the model - five ribs between each of the riveted sections, just like in my photo. And as the ends seems to be inset somewhat, I don’t even think I need to remove them to replace them. Not fully anyway. It looks as if I can cut out the ribbed portion and leave just a little plastic at the top and sides and attach another and right over the remaining lips.

I’ve just noticed that I do indeed need one of these, but that the other three boxcars at FWWR are different.
This one, while similar in design doesn’t even have double doors, but the one door is similar in design to the Youngstown door you mention. It would be easy to do, but I don’t even know if I want to use this on a layout as it sits in a location on the far side of on offramp from I-35, which I have no intention of showing.

Of course, this one is not even close:

Nor is this one, although i dig those extra strengthening bumps, if that’s what they are:

As I’ve not found anything in HO resembling the last one. I think I could come close with the Atlas boxcar and some thin lengths of Evergreen Styrene.