It has been a pretty hectic couple of months for me and I did not have much time for modeling, but now I am able to get back to the bench a bit. To get back into the groove, I wanted to be able to make a diorama that will not take me forever to build, so I put aside the stuff for the MEDCAP diorama and decided to make this diorama of two FNGs being handed off to their new Platoon Sergeant and Squad Leader by an Admin guy instead. I already had these figures from last year’s figure conversions and am going to have to do only a few adjustments - the main adjustments being placing the cap on the admin guy’s head, adding patches to his uniform, and changing out his left hand with one that is holding a clip board. Since I didn’t want just a cluster of figures standing on a base, I am building the facade of one of the early HQ and Admin type buildings that were built at Camp Bearcat as a backdrop. I still have a way to go, but I am getting there.
I really admire your work, just looking at this preliminary run through, I can picture in my mind the color contrast between the new guys fatigues and the PSG & Squad Leader. And the new boots, with the leather parts still black. I remember living the same scene, thinking “how soon can I get a bush hat so I don’t look like such a newbie”. As I’ve said before, you make a simple scene tell a story, and your attention to detail is amazing. Can’t wait to see the finished product.
You will definitely see a contrast in the uniforms of the new guys and the NCOs. The clerk will be somewhere in between - uniform a bit faded, but boots shined. I just finished the bits of work I needed to do on the clerk (photos posted in a few minutes) so painting should begin soon.
I was able to use a hand from Royal Models and a clipboard that I cut off of a Royal Models figure of a Navy NCO or Officer for the clerk’s left hand. I sculpted a watch onto his wrist to try to strengthen the wrist area and added the patches.
Here are some photos of the clerk from different angles. Normally I would have isolated him to take photos of just him, but I didn’t this time for some reason. At least they give you an idea of how he looks.
Brings back a lot of memories, trying to act confident in front of the short timers. I remember the look on the guys face when the sargeant told him I’d be taking over his dozer, 'cause I outranked him. Luckily when we got off to the side I told him he was the one who was gonna show me the ropes and we hit it off great after that. Being a “shake and bake” wasn’t always a plus, some of them went in acting like they knew it all. I was smart enough to know I was the new kid in town. Ha Wayne
I got all of the figures primed for painting and while the primer was curing I worked on the door and placed corrugated tin on the roof. I still need to apply the edging to the roof, but I will do so after the glue cures on the roof sections. I will prime and paint the facade and then put the door in its place once the painting is done. I am not very good at building structures, but I think this will be passable.
Yeah, it was especially bad during the time period I was there, in 72. All the units were standing down, pulling out, so they kept shifting people around depending on how much time you had on your tour. I got transferred up to Engineer Region 2 because they had too many E-5s in Region 3, even tho they didn’t need any dozer operators, so I ended up driving a dump truck. Military logic. Wayne
Although most of the buildings at Bearcat did not have sandbags around them or helping secure the roofs in the few photos I have, I know that eventually they did, so I took your advice and placed some sandbags on the roof to help secure the corrugated tin.
The latest work on this diorama was on the building facade. I added trim work to the roof and supports on the underside of the roof, placed the door (still need to install a handle or doorknob), placed a sheet of corrugated tin and bent it with the flame of a match so it formed the cap of the roof (did not turn out quite like I had planned), and placed some sandbags to help secure the roof as Wayne suggested as well as a few on the very top of the roof to hide the spot that I messed up.