Ford GT Rims and tyres set | AutoModeler

Decalcas have released a set of wheels for the Revell Ford GT Le Mans 2017 in 1/24th scale.

This is partial text from the full article (usually with photos) at https://automodeler.com/news/ford-gt-rims-and-tyres-set

Talk about AM making little to no sense. The days of this kit being a main player are over. Why would Decalas spend the time and resources to produce those wheels and tires is beyond me. To this day i still haven’t bought the kit, not even sure why that is.

joel

Hi Joel,
Well its part of this set that was released in 2019
1:24 Resin Upgrade set for Ford GT - 24 Hours Le Mans 2017 | DCL-PAR003 | Decalcas (hiroboy.com)
Obviously Decalcas think the wheels need improving, but as I have never seen the kit in the flesh I cant comment on the quality.
Andy :slight_smile:

Andy,
I’ve seen the kit built up a few times, and once by one of the best auto modelers I know. The kit has it’s issues like most kits do, but looks darn good once finished. The wheels, just like so many kit wheels are on the thicker side, and the tires are just average at best, but are more then good enough for the basic kit.

My thoughts were that even when the kit was 1st released it wasn't a sellout anywhere, so the demand for AM isn't all that great. The Decalas upgrade set costs twice what the kit costs, and you'll still need to purchase one of their decal sheets. 

joel

Joel_WAssociate Editor

3d

Talk about AM making little to no sense. The days of this kit being a main player are over. Why would Decalas spend the time and resources to produce those wheels and tires is beyond me. To this day i still haven’t bought the kit, not even sure why that is.

joel

What kit took over from it?

Tamiya is the newest tool kit of the Ford GT.
Andy :slight_smile:

As far as the racing version, the Revell kit is still the only game in town for 1/124 scale. My point is that as with all kits, the sales graph peaks at the start of it’s distribution cycle, then flattens out for a while till interest starts to wane. At that point the cycle curves starts to head back down till it levels off once again. That took place a few years ago. My point was that the interest in the kit may not warrant all this new AM items where the maker doesn’t make a profit or just a very small one at that.

joel