Fuel trailers, early ODS

Brilliant, thanks Gino. The flatbed appeals for sure.

Now that means I need another M915 kit. Know anyone who’d swap me one for a HB HETS kit?

Since 1/32 breaks down into inch fractions, any changes in size will be easy to translate into scale on that kit.

Scale Model Conversion Calculators help too when translating from scale drawings to the actual model parts. There are many, but this one is good, easy to use, and free.

Once again, my thanks for all the above.

You guys are great!

The inch-fraction scales are
1:12 1 foot → 1 inch
1:24 1 foot → 1/2 inch
1:36 1 foot → 1/3 inch
1:48 1 foot → 1/4 inch
1:72 1 foot → 1/6 inch
1:96 1 foot → 1/8 inch
1:144 1 foot → 1/12 inch
1:192 1 foot → 1/16 inch

The inch scales using 1/3, 1/6 and 1/12 are less easy to use since most rulers et.c do not have those fractions

Edit: post was aimed at the thread as a whole, not Gino specifically

2 posts were split to a new topic: M816 in ODS + mounting of tracks

I found out more info on the fuel trailer that looks almost the same as the 1/32 Monogram one. It is an M1062 Bulk Fuel Trailer made by Fruehauf, just like the Monogram one.

Some more info:

The M1062 is a bulk fuel line hauler and can be loaded with an external 300 GPM pump. The semitrailer has no on-board filter/separator or pump for retail issues. It has a single compartment with a capacity of 7,500 gallons plus 3 percent expansion space and weighs 11,566 pounds empty and about 65,556 pounds full. Full weight will vary depending on product being hauled. The entire vehicle is 36 feet 3 inches long, 8 feet 6 inches wide, and 8 feet 9 inches high.

It has only one access cover on top and different piping, but those are fixable.

A couple walkarounds for references:

https://www.govplanet.com/for-sale/Tanker-Trailers-Fruehauf-TAG-F2-ESF-7500-T%2FA-Tanker-Trailer-New-Jersey/2354150/NSN/2330-01-533-9904

1 Like

Great info Gino, thanks very much.

Gentlemen, thank you very much!

you open up a new horizon for me to use my old monogram tanker. just one question: what is the best tractor to pair with it?

In early ODS some tankers were pulled by M52 tractors. Real Model do a conversion set for the AFV M54 kit.

After that I guess there’s a choice of tractor versions of M800 and the later M939.

Guess it depends on which version of tanker you’re finishing it as?

ODS means…

yes but the rim wheels is always 5 spoket ? (I have to check if I have lee/grant wheels…)

Operation Desert Storm. The first Gulf War 1991.

The M1062 Bulk Fuel Trailer was first used in the late '80s and is still used today. Based on that, it could/was pulled by any 5 ton truck in use in that range. This would include M54s and M818s, M932s, M915s, and M1088s.

I plan to put one behind an M1088.

With all this talk about fuel trailers, I decided to start converting my old Monogram trailer into an M1062. So far, I have cut the tank down to a scale 36’ 3", cut off all the pipes and am reworking the top to have only one access cover, etc. I will be adding 5ton tires to it as well.

Here it is so far.
IMG_2100

You can continue following along here:

Looking good Gino, re the tires I wonder if the AFV M54 wheels would work? I plan to use Def or P Art wheels on my tractor so…

Ever since I offered you that Monogram trailer I thought, “What the heck? I’ve been on a fuel trailer kick as of late." Even though I’ve been mainly doing 1/48 lately, the concept is the same. They’re incredibly simple to convert. I haven’t kept up with that thread for a few weeks but I’ve already done a few other trailers from the original kit.

And so began working on one in 1/35 (1/32) as well. Of course, for those out there who haven’t seen the kit, the tires are horrendous:

Fortunately I have a ton of military tread tires to choose from in resin:

The original rubber tires from several kits will work as well. They’re even perfectly sized for the kit wheels, although you’d probably want to replace those with military wheels and hubs when you can.

Exactly. I am using a set of the older Def Model M54 tires (the original, too wide set). The ones from the AFV Club M54 would be fine too.

I prepare the saw

Look what Hobby Link just announced as coming soon.

Vietnam era M131 Fuel Tank Trailer

3 Likes

H.P.