Full metal/steel wheel for panzer III/stug III (continuously updated)

3D Builder 2023_4_18 20_33_46
I’m still working on the 3D modeling. A certification examination is around the corner, thus I may finish not until May.

3 Likes

Cool, good job

2 Likes

This is a new one on me. I’m naturally familiar with the steel wheels on the Panzerjager IV, but I’ve not seen this on a Pz III or Stug before. They are clearly a different design. Was it a development that ended because the Pz III gun tank was obsolete, or was it unsuccessful? It seemed to be being trialled at Kummersdorf in March 1943 according to the caption. There were loads more Stugs produced after this date so why weren’t they adopted?

1 Like

@Hohenstaufen
I don’t have any further investigation, mostly because of polysemy. During the search, “full steel road wheels(rollers)” always lead me to advertisements of steel model wheels of RC series.:confounded: What I’m doing is just a slavish imitation towards the only photos,imprecisely because the lack of more data.

Here is some of my surmise. I also have a picture shows a view of a gery L24 stug’s back which carrys a line of such steel wheels. However it was submerged in my disc. (I will post it after cleaning up) The picture probably informs us even early time the roller manufactured.

It’s hard to remove the supports. Just regard it as war damage😜

2 Likes

It could simply be that this is what they had at the factory at the moment and rather than hold up production they used what was on hand.

Certainly the Stug was not heavy enough to need all those solid wheels.

1 Like

@165thspc
Yeah, just a prototype. Besides, I think saving more rubber might be one of the factors that inspired them.

1 Like