Fully loaded M54 6x6 US Truck 'Inspirations' by Ralph Nicolaisen | Armorama™

Adie Roberts continues his inspirations to help inspire modellers of all abilities to work out of their comfort zone building dioramas or just trying new builds.

This is partial text from the full article (usually with photos) at https://armorama.com/news/fully-loaded-m54-6x6-us-truck-inspirations-by-ralph-nicolaisen
2 Likes

Looks like a really nice build. Too bad we don’t have the builder here to ask questions, like are those the kit tires or Def Model resin ones (I’m guessing Def’s)? I would like to see more of what looks like the finished dio it was put in too.

1 Like

Nice model, I do have a question regarding the black stars on the doors. I was in Vietnam in 1970, and don’t recall seeing any vehicles with subdued stars (which surprised me, coming from Germany where all markings were black). I even remember being placed in charge of a detail painting white stars over the black ones on newly arrived vehicles. Does anyone else recall or have photos of subdued markings in RVN? I emphasize, I’m not saying the builder is wrong, just saying I never saw it, but Vietnam was a big place.

2 Likes

Don’t recall seeing a lot of arty hauled around by truck with rounds in the bed, especially with troops acting so slack. Also, no bumper markings. Wayne

1 Like

I was in RVN from 71-72 in Da Nang .I seem to remember the subdues stars ,but it was 50 pluss years ago .I was part of a m113 crew and the stars were black … If I remember right ? Also who makes those figures ? Ive never seen them before .

2 Likes

They look to be from Paracel’s “The Tourist” set.

2 Likes

WOW, Ralph, you have captured Vietnam’s insidious red dust beautifully on the tires, wheels and lower chassis of your truck. GREAT job! Best I have ever seen on other than the real thing.

1 Like

Thank you very much :slight_smile:
The wheels are the one which came with the kit.
Cheers
Ralph

The figures are from The Tourist set by Paracel Miniatures
Cheers
Ralph

Those pics were the inspiration for this build.
Cheers
Ralph

1 Like

As note above says, you capture the red dirt seen in some areas perfectly. The insperation photos are interesting, both show the effects of sun and dust on the vehicles paint. That’s why the term “correct” OD color for RVN vehicles has a pretty wide range. Just an observation, the photo of the two convoys passing appears to be a couple of ARVN units. If my 52 year old memories are correct, the yellow/black numbers on the hood of approaching vehicle and tailgate of vehicle towing the 155 were ARVN markings. The fact the troops a bit farther ahead have helmets w/o cammo covers also makes me think these are not GI’s, most (note:I didn’t say ALL) US troops used cammo covers.
The model & figures look great to this old soldier.

1 Like

Hi Ralph and welcome aboard. I’m glad we actually got one of the modelers of these “Inspirations” posts to join and reply. Your build looks great. I am actually surprised that you used the kit tires/wheels. Did you sand them or do anything to them? I ask because to me, the kit ones look too square in where the sidewall meets the tread and not rounded like actual US multi-directional mud tires.

1 Like

Thanks for the welcome :slight_smile:
I am reading this forum for quite some years actally and thought this is the right time to join
:smiley:
I did no sanding or anything to the tires

1 Like

Nice, the M109 is looking god. You should post your builds in the regular Armor forum. They look quite good. I would also like to see some more of the finished M54/M114 dio.

1 Like

Nice to know someone else that was there in my time. I was there from Nov. 71 to Sep. 72. Landed in Da Nang, but spent my time down south, first at Long Binh, then at Nha Trang, Pleiku and An Son, outside of Qui Nhon. Was with engineers, mostly closing down bases. Except for the side trip to Pleiku during the Easter deal. Welcome back. Wayne

1 Like

Not to get off topic here but seems this thread has attracted a bunch of Vietnam vets. Want to take this opportunity to thank you all for your service and sacrifice. Some of you may have enlisted while others were drafted. In either case we all know you guys got a raw deal when you came home. I was lucky I guess as the draft ended and my number was never pulled.

1 Like

Armorsmith, thanks for your kind words, most appreciated. I guess I’m still awed by the fact folks would actually build models of…us! That’s why I try to compliment a build that is spot on and try to answer questions (if I can) about VN era subjects. I think anyone building a VN era subject could pose almost any question here and get an answer from someone who was there, that’s why it’s a great hobby.
SFCJJC, 25th Inf.

2 Likes

Will do so

Thank you so much :slight_smile:

I’m a very basic modeller, compared to most of the people on here, but I’ve always admired the talent and skill shown on this forum. I started as a kid, then got back into it as a vet, wanting to build things I worked around. I got involved with a Vietnam Veteran’s group when we built a local memorial and worked for a time at the museum at our local Veteran’s Home. During that time I learned that there were a wide range of experiences that we all went thru. What one saw might not be anything like what another did. It is good to see some of this shown in different views. It was all a prt of the picture. Wayne

1 Like