Garage Queens 2020

I’m so close, just don’t know if it’s to the finish line or a cliff. :frowning_face: Decided that the pain coats were good enough and tried to spray Testor’s clear gloss lacquer the other day. The paint never flowed, just dried in these little dots all over the body. I sanded it out but all I got was a glossy pebble finish. I’m going to try a different gloss and see if it evens things out, if it comes close, I may just declare victory and start on the chrome details.

Mark,
Are you referring to Testors Glosscoat through an air brush, or the rattle can? I’ve air brushed it for a million years till I switched to Mr. Color’s clear gloss. Always flowed for me.

Joel

Tried to take the simple way out and use Gloss coat out of the rattle can. :frowning_face: Next try will be either MCW or Alclad gloss clear Gloss, :wave:

So. Close.
There’s CHROME!

and LOTS of it!

Managed to get the gold chrome on the Chevrolet and V on the hood and trunk. Managed to successfully get panel liner applied on the openings.
Another coat of clear on the shell then on to Final Assembly! :wave:

1 Like

Mark,
I’d say you really nailed all that chrome work for sure.

Joel

1 Like

The side trim was the hardest, I tried to shoot Alclad Chrome and Aluminum for the burst Masked over it and shot the other paints. Worked well till the clear coat orange pealed. The rest of the chrome was done with Molotov 2mm and 4mm pens. My 1mm pen went dry. In messing with it I spilled a huge drop on a Post-it and used a 20/0 brush for touch ups on the wipers, hood fins and side trim. I wanted to try Bare Metal Foil on the door trim but couldn’t find my carefully stored package. :wave:

Done, Done, Done.
The '57 Bel Aire is completed, with just 2 weeks left!

Just need to find a '57 license plate. :wave:

1 Like

Great job Mark, a classic car in a traditional and eye-catching scheme, gotta love it!

These old mould kits aren’t easy, but you’ve put this one together very well, the stance and the matching interior give it a real cruiser appeal.

Cheers, D

Mark,
Outstanding build. Boy does that 57’ Belaire bring back a lot of great memories.

Joel

OK procrastinators, you’re almost out of time. It’s 11:30 PM PST on 12/31/2020, gives the western most among you about 4 1/2 hours to claim your finish.

Here’s what I have so far:
Damian – AussieReg – yes - '71 Plymouth Hemi Cuda Convertible –Completed
Damian – AussieReg – yes –’67 Dodge Charger 426 HEMI –Completed
Damian – AussieReg – yes –’67 Pontiac GTO –Completed
Damian - AussieReg – yes – '59 Cadillac El Dorado Biarritz – Completed
James - jimb – yes – Kenworth W900 – Completed
Jesper - Hwa-Rang – yes – TBD
David - Dixon66 – yes - Cobra?
Mark - md72 – yes - 57 Bel Air – Completed
Patrick - Bluebell914 – yes - Martini Porsche 917k - final assy
Robert - rv1963 – Ed Roth Outlaw – Final decals

Anyone else?