Gecko Models SK-5 PACV | Armorama™

In what has got to be a unique and stand-out release, Gecko Models are to release a 1/35 model of the SK-5 PACV -or Patrol Air Cushion Vehicle- used by American forces during the Vietnam War.

This is partial text from the full article (usually with photos) at https://armorama.com/news/gecko-models-sk-5-pacv
5 Likes

Lets hope we get a deflated skirt at some time kit manufacturers seem to forget this add on with hovercraft

2 Likes

Finally one of my dream kits has been released in plastic,I need this kit.

3 Likes

Real nice !!

4 Likes

I have read that it was suitable for transport with a CH-54 (which we have also at 1/35 from ICM…) I do not know if it ever happened, but in any case it would make an amazing scene

3 Likes

As I said when we first saw the announcement…Awesome.
NEWS: Gecko 1/35 USN PACV SK5 Hovercraft - Ships / Cold War - KitMaker Network

2 Likes

Brilliant news

2 Likes

Weight-wise it could lift it. CH-54A lift capacity was 25,000 lbs. The PACV weight was 15,660 lbs. I can’t find a pic of any such lift, but this is close. I can hear “Ride of the Valkyries” playing in the background.

3 Likes

Funny how excited we all are (me, too) for a craft that had only 6 examples and basically failed at its mission. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

But it looks so cool.

5 Likes

Yeah but everybody loves a Titanic model.

4 Likes

I’m keen on one, too; it can accompany the UH 1C gunship in the stash.

3 Likes

It’ll be interesting to see how they mould the air cushion- was hoping they would show that in this update but I guess we’ll have to wait to see the sprues. Glad to see they’ve got the big monster grin/sharkmouth on the box art!

2 Likes

What is also amazing is how quickly this got so many “awesome” or “love” clicks. And it is not even WWII German! Wonders never cease. Tigers don’t get this much love.

5 Likes

Super Duper cool!
I was a little kid then. But still remember seeing these running across the bay.

2 Likes

After recently completing a diorama of a 1/35th scale Brownwater Navy subject (resin ASPB), i will be all over grabbing this and bringing it to the top of my build stash.

2 Likes

It’s about Time! this is the most( in my mind) unique vehicle. Ever snce I built Masterpeice’s models decades ago I couldn’t wait for an injection version. Granted there weren’t that many in use during the VietNam conflict it was still the scariest. Just imagine seeong this thing blowing through the reeds while you are in something smaller than a rowboat!

2 Likes

I found a photo for a CH-54 lifting Army version PACV only

5 Likes

when isee that image of the CH54 picking up that PBR i can’t help but think of the film Apocalypse Now when LAURENCE FISHBOURNE watches the Air Cav helicopter picks up the little PBR and utters the line “Hey Clean, they’re picking up the boat”.

2 Likes

or did it fail? look at the LACAC