Gecko US M76 “OTTER” | Armorama™

New 1/35 US M76 Amphibious Cargo Carrier “OTTER” (Early Production), 100% new tooling

This is partial text from the full article (usually with photos) at https://armorama.com/news/gecko-us-m76-otter
9 Likes

Nice. It looks like Gecko is going all-in on Vietnam subjects. They seem to be doing lesser subject not covered by other companies. Keep at it.

6 Likes

Not my cup of tea but well done Gecko for something different.

I’ve mentioned elsewhere that I stumbled across one of these parked up in a field in the New Forest (southern UK); having seen it in the flesh so to speak, it really is an ugly brute!

4 Likes

The uglier, the better :grin:
Can’t resist an ugly ass tracked vehicle

7 Likes

Very very nice! I’m glad that I didn’t pull the trigger on Hobby Link’s 3D printed kit.
Thanks Gecko!

4 Likes

I haven’t made a Gecko kit; for some reason I seem to equate them in my mind, with Bronco and would be wary of a gazillion parts. Is that the case? Not that this detracts from no small initiative on Gecko’s part.

2 Likes

This is just MY personal opinion, and I am an experienced builder, but I hate Gecko kits for just that reason. They are no fun to build. They come with dozens of little sprues that are similarly numbered that contain a myriad of tiny parts to make overcomplicated assemblies with tiny weak attachment points. I have 8 of their kits and have yet to finish one of them. I love Gecko’s subject matter, they put out outstanding kits. I waited 40 years for a Daimler in 1/35 styrene. But they’re just so God damned finicky it sucks all the enjoyment out of it for me. YMMV.

4 Likes

Aha! So somewhere along the line my subconscious must have picked this up; shame!

2 Likes

Yeeeeaah !! ALRIGHT !!!

2 Likes

Funny thing is, this is how I feel about AFV Club, but their kits are just too, well, nice looking when finished to pass up, especially if it’s something I want.
I’m all in for anything Vietnam related but, the M76 is a Marine thing, and I haven’t gotten to their AFV’s yet, M56 Scorpion, LVTP, M50, M38 and other equipment and howitzers/SPGs. . I lust for them all but just don’t have the room or the time to build and display them. (Although the M56 was used by the 101st AB if my research is right)

Cajun :crocodile:

4 Likes

Don’t let such inhibitions get in the way of acquiring a massive stash!

I think the M56 Scorpion was even deployed in USAREUR back in the day; I’m sure I’ve a pic in one of my Tankograd books (not available to check just yet).

I’ve always wanted one in 1:35 ever since I tackled the ancient Revell one way back when in that frustrating scale of 1:40:

7 Likes

That looks great Brian, I forgot they made one of those.

2 Likes

Thanks very much! I think Hobby Fan do one in resin, but that’ll probably be expensive or rare; besides, it’s not like I’ve nothing else to build.

2 Likes

it looks totally F-UGLY but i want one.

4 Likes

Gecko is at least staking out a niche, with no new Tigers or Shermans. Their VN stuff is very promising, but it’s hard to find their kits, too. Not many places carry them (Sprue Bros. for example, told me they will NOT be carrying any further Gecko kits). The only other Otter out there is a resin version by Hobby Link Vietnam which I reviewed here on Armorama.

4 Likes

And if you plan on building an Otter, you will want this book.

2 Likes

i buy all of my models online/ebay as all the model shops have all gone that were near me.

1 Like

Most model shops are no more. But even internet retailers are wary of Gecko Models for reasons I don’t fathom.

1 Like

I get what you are saying. I built my first kit of theirs recently and it had lots of small, breakable and finickity parts. Like separate upper and lower door hinges- so tiny they were smaller than the nubs of the sprue gates! The kit reminded me a wee bit of Bronco- I built one of their kits and gave up on another many years ago. Gecko was miles better in fit and instructions. Also have to commend the accuracy of the kit which was masterful. There was some fit issues here and there- what I was amazed with was how fragile it looked and felt but it put up with lots of masking and handling. If anyone is kind of on the fence about them I would say definitely buy one and see for yourself.

@Laoye - In the UK E Models carry many Gecko kits.

2 Likes

There’s an M56 Scorpion at the 45th Infantry Museum in Oklahoma City. I would love a 1/35 kit of this!

2 Likes