General Grievous 1/12 Bandai

I will be painting and detailing up a bit. Just detailing the cream armor parts. These parts seem to have a marbling effect in them in pictures I’ve seen and I would like to try copying that somehow.

I have already painted the flesh parts of the figure.

I used oil paints for these. The eyes come in colored plastic, which honestly is a good thing. I still have issues painting very small things like that. I finished them off with a coat of wet effects. I was going to use future, but I think future is a little too thick for this. Maybe I should say my old bottle of future is too thick, not sure how old it is now. The eyes will be exposed, but the “guts” will be covered by a clear plastic part. So I wasn’t to worried about making them look great.

2 Likes

you need to be careful with oil and enamel thinners on bandai kits as it weakens the plastic.

great work so far!

1 Like

I’ve been building models for like 35 years. I know how to use oil paints on Bandai’s plastic. If you’d like a tutorial I can help you with one.

Since I have few different Bandai kit, I would be interested in seeing one. :+1:

I’ll do more detailed steps when I get to the painting of the rest of this kit.

The first step is buy a bottle of this stuff…

Odorless turpenoid. For all the years I’ve been using it, I’ve never had any Bandai plastic craze. The Barbatos gundam I posted in here a few months back was literally soaking in this completely several times. Clean, no primer or painted plastic. I still test, I know not all plastic is created equally. But for 13-14 years I’ve never had any problems with this. This is the only thing I use now for making washes and filters for everything I build.

I use Winsor and Newton oil paints. I usually put a primer down before using these. I used Mr. Surfacer 500 from a jar on the guts for this kit. I have layed oil paint on to bare Bandai plastic. I wouldn’t recommend it unless you know how the paint acts. For washes/filters, after it dries, the pigment doesn’t adhere to the plastic very well and can be knocked/rubbud off very easily. I will get it about where I want it and topcoat it. For painting on bare Bandai plastic, I’ve only done it sparingly and never had any issues. Other then waiting several days for it to dry.

2 Likes

Wow good paint job :clap: :clap: :clap:

1 Like

Just finished snapping him together. There are some weird fit issues. Which I thought was more weird because it’s a Bandai kit. I built a T-70 x-wing from Bandai a few weeks ago and it had similar fit issues.

Whatever. Next up will be cleaning mold lines, gluing some things, blah blah blah. I really want to get to the painting on him!

2 Likes