Ghost of Kyiv MiG-29

I saw of a similar model yesterday at the show.

2 Likes

I’ve wondered this myself, it’s not like missiles care l. Might be to help break them up on the ground?

This is these frames are from Digital combat simulator.

No one aircraft has been lost by Russia. Only one Ka-52

2 Likes

list of aviation losses in this operation

https://lostarmour.info/aviation/

1 Like

As I recall most modern and not so modern airforces practice using highways as runways so the number of sites available to tactical aircraft is much higher than the number of airfields.

5 Likes

it remains to transfer parts of the provision and repair to them

Yes, but pilots undergo special education and training. I think that any pilot can land on the highway, but not every plane will be able to take off after that.

1 Like

These areas have already been identified so it should not be a problem.

Yes indeed. The US interstate hiway system was designed in such a manner. A stretch of each hiway was specified to be flat and level and of sufficient length for use as emergency runways at specified intervals. That information on aeronautics charts has to be stored away somewhere. Other countries have similar measures. During the Cold War, certain aircraft types such as the A-10 and Jaguar would during wargames occasionally practice such ops on the German autobahns.

1 Like

Swedish highway, forest and conscript aircraft mechanics.
Flash-mob airbase, nothing to see here, suddenly they roll in, aircraft lands, gets serviced and then everyone leaves again

Viggen, image quality is really bad, sorry …

Gripen,

3 Likes

i seem to remember seeing an raf jaguar landing on a motorway in the 1980’s

2 Likes

RAF also did it with ad hoc Fwd landing sites in pre designated wooded areas with Harriers on various exercises.

2 Likes

The Harrier is a whole different game. It needs no airstrip, just a clearing and some metal planking down to prevent FOD ingestion. It’s whole reason for existence was the thought that airstrips would be primary targets and knocked out early. An elegant solution to an obvious problem.

3 Likes

I’ve been on 2 lane ‘freeways’ in Korea that suddenly lost their median, were paved edge to edge plus the shoulders, added some different striping and for over 2km were reasonably flat and un obstructed. Hmm, runways in waiting?

2 Likes

@md72 i remember seeing those tank traps suspended above the motorway over there as i was heading up to the DMZ, so you are probably right.

1 Like

We used to love those streetches here in Sweden,
perfect for overtaking lorries/trucks on curvy country roads,
suddenly one could see a kilometer straight ahead and
the road was slightly wider.

3 Likes

Taiwanese motorways can be very busy…

https://www.avionslegendaires.net/2014/09/actu/les-avions-combat-taiwanais-en-exercice-les-autoroutes-du-pays/

H.P.

5 Likes

Same in Finnish Lapland (Rovaniemi and north)

UA

1 Like

I’ve seen those too. Along with dragon’s teeth and trenches dug in along the ridge lines near the road.

1 Like

Not sure the UK’s roads are up to it any more, given all the potholes! But I do love those rolling racks of trees…

I do know the back roads west of Catterick are surprisingly wide and flat, but those are for tank transport.

1 Like