Got black balled by an eBay vendor

Oh Come on!

Apparently, when I went to purchase a KMT-4 Mine Roller parts set harvested from an Academy kit from my usual vendor (“beaddreamsllc” on eBay); this appears…

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

What did I do?

I’ve bought a lot of stuff from this vendor in the past with no issues… THen I remember I attempted to buy an upper hull from a tamiya Early Production to correct an M4A2 I put together; and the vendo sent me the wrong hull. No biggie; I sent the hull back, expecting an exchange for the correct hull; but the vendor refunded my money in full (which was not bad). I made it clear to the vendor that I was not interested in a refund, just the correct hull, but he refunded me anyways and did not send the correct party.

So I decided to leave3 the vendor neutral feedback and explained why I sent the neutral feedback…

I wasn’t insulting or anything and still gave him praise for his service. But apparently, it was not good enough and got “BLACK BALLED”… :angry: Now; ain’t this some BS.

Is this normal? I have purcfhased a lot of parts trees from this vendor in the past without any issued whatsoever and I have always made it a point to leave positive feedback after every transaction. But one neutral feedback and I am out into the curb.

What gives? :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

I’ve purchased some items from them as well though not much. I don’t see what you did wrong, though.

2 Likes

Neither did i. Half of all the stuff i was watching was from that vendor; then I tried to put stuff in the cart to buy it, then poof! You no buy!

2 Likes

I would send him a message and ask what happened. I bet it is a mistake.

3 Likes

I did, still waiting for a response.

1 Like

He’s hypersensitive and vindictive. A lot of that going around these days.

5 Likes

Considering all that I’ve bought in the past from this vendor, he would not get bent out of shape like that. His feedback score is still 100%; that’s why i don’t understand why I got banned from buying from him.

2 Likes

I think you just answered it. He’s feeling hurt because you were honest instead of praising him again with exemplary positive feedback.

3 Likes

It may not be vindictiveness at all. It may be a business decision. It has to do with the way eBay racks and stacks vendors. If the vendor is a full time business that depends heavily on eBay sales, then anything other than 100% positive, glowing feedback is the kiss of death because it heavily tilts the algorithms and impacts his ability to get favorable, top tier listings. Exposure = $$ and if the algos de-prioritize a seller’s listings he may as well not be on eBay anymore. Some sellers try and go through a lengthy process to work out minor disputes but others simply don’t want to deal with a buyer who is willing to give a less than stellar review, even if it is a honest one. Like most online reviewing systems, the intent of providing informed and honest feedback has long gone by the wayside due to cutthroat algos that only reward perfection.

I know this because my wife is an eBay seller who runs a small resale business on there. Occasionally she has to spend an inordinate amount of time with an unhappy customer and mediating things with eBay. It can be a time consuming process with severe consequences for the business. Unhappy customers are a reality in retail, especially when people are purchasing online and they can’t physically see what they are getting.

I checked out “beaddreamsllc”. He’s definitely a retail store and his “About” section says he’s been in business since 2007. I guarantee you that he’s trying to maintain his seller rating. He still has a 100% positive rating, but I can see your neutral comment. From eBay’s perspective, however, he gave you a refund and concluded the transaction satisfactorily even though you didn’t want the refund.

5 Likes

Yeah; And I made the note that it was a still a good transaction, despite the neutral rating…

I have yet to receive a response on my earlier e-mail, trying to see his side of the story. Long of the short. I can’t buy anything from him anymore because of this, so I won;t fight it if he decides not to respond.

Which is a shame - he was my main source for parts to complete builds and add detail. What can i do? I can’t undo the review anyways.

1 Like

This is the correct answer. It sucks for sure as you didn’t do anything wrong @SableLiger. But for eBay sellers who rely on 100% positive feedback, a neutral rating is almost as bad a bad rating. Sucks to be black balled for what should be normal business practices.

1 Like

It is what it is… Can’t do anything about it.

Oh well… :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Yeah. Apache26 has it right. eBay’s feedback system is brutal for sellers. eBay is brutal for sellers, period.

5 Likes

Some good comments here. Fully concur with the brutality of the eBay algo for sellers. We sell on eBay and our experience is that eBay is a relatively good buyers’ platform. It is a terrible sellers’ platform.

The feedback algorithm effectively neutralizes any verbiage. It doesn’t matter what you write. Sellers are only rewarded for positive feedback. Any other feedback is viewed by sellers as the kiss of death, no matter what gets written.

Therefore, most sellers will immediately block any buyer who sends anything other than positive feedback, for any reason, especially if they issued a refund. Most sellers who rely on eBay as a significant revenue source simply will not risk neutral or negative feedback for the few dollars or cents they make on the sale. The seller is even less likely to tolerate neutral or negative feedback if the seller has issued a refund. Refunds usually mean that the sale, after shipping and packaging material costs, was probably a complete loss for the seller. Most reputable sellers are willing to accept that loss if the error was the seller’s. But receiving neutral or negative feedback on top of a refund is usually seen as throwing salt in the wound, no matter whose fault it was.

Therefore, for most experienced sellers, if you provide neutral or negative feedback, especially after receiving a refund, the seller is likely to blacklist you immediately.

The situation is truly unfortunate, and certainly not fair to either buyer or seller. But that’s how eBay works.

4 Likes

Why didn’t you just accept the refund and make another order for the correct part, treating the error as a voided transaction?

From his perspective (and the perspective of how commercial contract disputes are resolved), he did everything right and he made you whole, yet you gave only Neutral feedback while including what is, to the objective reader, a completely positive comment.

You may believe that your request (made after an adequate settlement of the dispute, I might emphasize) was reasonable. Perhaps it was, but did his unwillingness to proceed your way really warrant a non-Positive rating? Maybe he could’ve said, “How about you just order the item again rather than dragging this order out”, but again, is failing to do that reason to dock his feedback?

BTW, that hull is a bastardized M4/M4A4 configuration. There’s not much usable for an M4A2.

KL

2 Likes

That’s probably exactly what the seller is thinking . . .

KL

1 Like

No, but I’d suggest failing to ship the correct item in the first place is. Should the seller be rewarded for that? Sadly the ruling factor isn’t true feedback, but the crushing threat of the EvilBay algorithm…

2 Likes

I could see why one might think that.

And why, after all these years, are people so insistent on making every reference to the site as EvilBay or Ebane? Do they think it’s still funny, or cutting? I thought I’d left the 5th grade a half century ago . . .

KL

1 Like

Some people live on the 5 star rating (20199 people give this 5 stars at a 99.99999% approval rate…) Most people gust max out the review and move on. Thats probably the issue. He’s miffed and the only recourse is to block. Me, don’t care. I want to read the 2 and 3 star reviews. Many will gripe about nonrelevant stuff. Didn’t like the color, got here in 4 days instead of 2…If the gripes are generally irrelevant then I feel OK with going through with the purchase. I will put in an honest review figuring other people like me would like to know. You want to block me and lose a customer, that is on you. I have a shooting range here that I gave a 1 star because there was nothing lower. In multiple attempts to do business with them to purchase range time, firearms and accessories, they managed to not get the deal done, everytime. Be honest and feel good. If really in a bind have someone else order that rare hard to get item for you.

4 Likes

Why did the seller need to refund when he could have just sent the correct item. The seller played a silly game by not correcting a, probably, simple mistake. Not then replying is just pathetic, it could then lead to Negative feedback rather than the neutral he got, it certainly would with me. The buyer in this, is perfectly within his rights to expect a reasonable resolution which should’ve been the correct item being sent. By saying that the seller did everything right just makes you look stupid. The seller has now lost a loyal customer for no reasonable reason. To blame the buyer for not bowing down to this idiot is ludicrous. I, for one, will make a note of this seller and make sure not to use him.

1 Like