Great War 2024

I’ll try to combine “Tsar Cannon” campaign and this one. To participate I chose the Tacom 2011 “Skoda 30.5cm M1916 Siege Hotwirzer” .

The prototype fought in both world wars, in the latter it shelled the Soviet cities of Leningrad and Sevastopol.
The model is small, only 110 parts, with almost two dozen shortcomings and deviations from the prototype. For those interested, here is the link (in Russian): www.dishmodels.ru
Because of this and for a number of other reasons, there is no intention to make it in working condition. I want to practice applying rust. Most likely the result will be negative and I will spoil the model, but I have to try.

3 Likes

I’m in!
I have a 70mm US soldier with Lewisgun to paint.

Thomas, I have the same A7V in my stash, so I will follow your build with interest.

So far I have been resistant to start mine since I have not decided how to show of the interior - cut away side? - all hatches open? - damaged tank?.

Jesper, I plan to show the crew in front of one side of the tank. The other side will be assembled that way that one can open the hull side wall to have a look inside. At least that´s the plan :thinking: :blush: :raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed:

2 Likes

Ambitious, Thomas, but I love it! Hope you can pull it of. :+1:t2:

Easy to assemble model. Almost without any complaints. Can be assembled in one day, even with smoking a couple of cigars and running errands for your spouse.

Unexpectedly it was small in size.

6 Likes

the campaign hasn’t begun yet, you know…

I apologize, I couldn’t resist! I’ll hold my horses.

and “zapp” you could have been disqualified :joy: :face_with_hand_over_mouth:
4n8

just kidding mate :grin: :raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed:

2 Likes

And I am out again. Turns out is is a 1941 Marine with Lewis gun. Too bad.

This is live. If someone could change the status so I would be grateful.

1 Like

Done.

I’m in, don’t know what yet, Eduard 1/48 SE5a, Albie DV or Bristol FB2, Roden 1/72 Ships Camel or Airfix MkIV tank. Plus, Jackal is still not finished……

Got the extra bits I needed for the Minerva. Looking forward to starting it once I have a few other projects finished.

1 Like

Hi Everyone,

Looks like lots of interesting builds in the works for this one. While I survived 2023, I’m personally happy that it’s in the books. Definitely was the toughest year physically on me, so I’m very optimistic on the outlook for 2024. That said, I hit the year running! So, here’s my entry for this campaign.

Eduard’s 1/48 SE.5a (Royal Aircraft Company, Scout Experimental 5a) Weekend Edition. This one almost made it into the 2023 campaign, it just wasn’t in the cards. Overall, this kit looks pretty straight forward with really beautiful fine detail molding. Granted there’s some really, really small parts, so the astroturf next to the workbench is licking it’s lips!

I began with the cockpit area per the instructions, and gave the interior parts that were made of wood a base coat of Mr. Color (MC) 43 wood brown. I followed up with some burnt umber oil paints using a wide flat brush to mimic the wood grain, and add a bit of variety to the parts. Additionally, I constructed the engine.

One of the nice things I found about this kit is that Eduard has incorporated guides for adding wire if one wishes. I wish that! Using EZ-Line (fine charcoal) and small dabs of superglue, I was able to string the line along the guide slots and add a nice detail effect. How much will be seen at the end is a little hard to tell right now.

While there are some small parts, by taking my time and closely following the instructions on their placement things went together quite nicely. I did manage to land a dual gauge part in a slightly wrong place. This was easily remedied, and I’m blaming the instructions for this one. One thing I’m finding is that the placement is noted, but it’s vague considering the very low tolerances of the molding. Meaning if the placement is off by just a tad, things don’t fit right. Sadly with really tiny parts, test fitting can become quite challenging, verging on frustrating. Still I was pleased with the outcome, however, there is a fluid tank that didn’'t make it, though in the end it won’t be missed.

The kit comes with decals for the seat belts, however, having some leather colored spar belts from Eduard’s IJN seatbelt set, I opted to add these, which really enhanced the look of the seat area.

I think the cockpit turned out pretty nice, at least for me I give it a passing grade.

Test fitting found that the fuselage halves should go together and fit relatively well.

I then secured the cockpit onto the lower wings with little fanfare, and glued the fuselage halves together.

Next came the mating of the fuselage to the lower wing, which went quite well. I did use some clamps to minimize any gaps at the fuselage/wing root mating area.

After everything was dry, I gave some of the seams a dose of Mr. Surfacer 500 to even everything out. This was followed by some strategic sanding and fine polishing. Adding the engine and cover along the way.

At this point, I believe I can move onto the next phase. This will entail drilling the areas for the rigging at the correct angle, lots of test fitting, and placement of the cabanes to assure a proper fit of the upper wing. Looks like I’m off to the music store for a couple of high E guitar strings (electric and acoustic), and while up there get a haircut! Gotta keep the wife happy!

Till next time, be safe, wash your hands and have fun!

8 Likes

Whoa! That’s a lot of great work already.

1 Like

This is the Weekend kit and I’m impressed. I have the ProfiPack kit, it will be interesting to compare

1 Like

John, Beautiful job - especially on the cockpit.

Looking forward to see more :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I put the howitzer aside for a couple of weeks and it rusted!

11 Likes

Starting my entry: Takom 1/35 St. Chamond (early). Removed some pieces of track links to help make sense of the instructions.
DSC01113

6 Likes