Grumman F6F Hellcat blog

It is a bit of a beast. I was considering wings folded…nah wings down to show all her size and beauty

Thanks

Pete

Some work done yesterday on the Hellcat. More trouble this time with the wings. As you can see there are areas that just dont want to join up. Got one side done with some persuasion but the other side will need some extra strength applied.

5 Likes

Thats unfortunate but Im sure you will fix it!

No worries I will sort it.

Pete

Now I have not been on with a y updates for a while…nope I didnt give up on the hellcat. Wing joins have been an issue. No I got a new toy for xmas which I got on 4th Jan.

Anyway that has taken up so much time :grin:.
But yesterday I did some work on the hellcat.

Wings are together a d seen solid now and joined to the fuselage. That was another task. But it’s coming together. I will upload more progress soon.

Pete

5 Likes

Good to see the wings on that monster. What’s the wing span on it 2 feet?

About that bud yeah. It’s a monster indeed.

Pete

1 Like

Okay back on the hellcat again. I have got the trailing edges mostly done. I started on the radiator housing. Check out the really bad mistakes by Airfix.
Uploading: 20210127_213834.jpg…
Numbers dont match the drawings.
I kinda worked out what should go where. One part looks like it should be the opposite way around too.

2 Likes

4 Likes

Radiator housing complete and in place
Although I am sure there isnt meant to be a gap

4 Likes

Looking good, Peter.

You’re overcoming the obstacles of the kit nicely.

Kinda makes me wanna rip out Eduard’s 1/72 offering that I was kindly gifted with at Christmas by The Better Half :grinning:

Hi Russ
This kit is definitely not a beginners kit, but that said it is building into a really nice looking Hellcat. It’s just a bit disappointing after building the B17 with out any issues and the engineering was superb.

Pete

1 Like

I hear what you’re saying Pete.

At the end of it all you’ll stand back and know it was worth the effort :slightly_smiling_face:

Thats going to be massive … do you have a local airfield to store it at ? :grin:

On a serious note, it looks very nice and will be very impressive :+1:

Thanks Johnny
Yes it will be on the big side. I got the tail section finished last night.

4 Likes

Started the engine.

Pete

4 Likes

Spent 6 or 7 hours on the engine. Decided to add the wiring which isnt included but plans for them are.

The engine is a kit on it’s own

The last thing I am on is the exhausts. I have completed the left just the right time do

I will post more as I go.

Pete

6 Likes

Looking awesome!

Thanks for the kind comments Ezra

1 Like