H3 Models US 1/16 figures news

I was poking around on hobbyeasy and came across some new, to me, 1/16 US figures, including a Korean war soldier, two M1 MBT crew, a GI Jane modern girl, and four different paratroopers from WWII. So I immediately ordered the two tankers, and an assault pack to go with them, from Jason Studio. I’ll let you know what they’re like once I receive them. Yep, they’re pricey, being the top end for scanned and 3D printed figures… But there are few options out there…

1 Like

I think I have seen those released in 1/16 scale, but don’t remember if I wrote the “official” news story on them. The 1/35 scale versions look impressive, I can only imagine what 1/16 scale looks like. Your input on the quality would be appreciated. :grin:

Cheers,
Mario

1 Like

Yep, I’ll keep you (& Armorama) updated. I’m expecting good things…

1 Like

Got a link? Who’s the manufacturer?

1 Like

Hi Bravo 36,

This is all the info I have currently: H3 Models (KR) and https://www.hobbyeasy.com/en/category/Figures/20/1/maker/H3M.html"

I’ll update you further once I’ve received more.

3 Likes

Has anyone bought from this company?

Their prices seem steep for 1/16, even if 3D printed, and there are very few parts photos.

I am tempted to purchase a couple, but I don’t know if the weapon and gear are separate or printed as one piece.

Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Yep, these are expensive, single piece, solid cast figures. Nothing to add. Nothing to build. I almost brought the two new modern German figures, but stopped when it rounded out at $300NZ for two figures, including postage. I did buy the two modern US tank crew at a good price a year ago, and things have changed since. Buy them if you must.

2 Likes

@Newtonk Thanks. Did the H3 Models 1/16 figures come with printing sprues that you had to cut off? If so, was it a chore to snip off and did anything break off on the figure if you started building yours?

1 Like

Pete, MrBMB has some video reviews of H3 figures posted on youtube. Here’s one… I guess all H3 figures follow the same principle:

Mario

2 Likes

@Maki I saw that video, thanks.

That was posted a year ago so I was just wondering if H3 Models now takes the time to snip off the 3D printing trees.

it is somewhat confusing because their 1/35 figure parts photo shows the figure without printing trees and the carbine with the 3D printing trees. I don’t know if that translates to the same 3D printed figure in 1/16 scale and if the carbine is separate or printed attached as the MrBMB video shows. There are few, if any, parts photos or completed builds of H3 Models figures online.

3D printers @MikeyBugs and @Petition2God snip off the trees before they ship and they’re awesome at that job so one gets a clean 3D printed piece without the printing trees attached.

I realize that it’s not hard to snip off the 3D printed trees, and I have done this before with Jason Studios’ 1/16 tactical vest, but if the manufacturer can do it, all the better because some trees and little tiny pieces can be missed and left on the piece before priming.

2 Likes

I must agree that it’s a bit lazy for H3 Models not to snip off the print supports from the bigger 1/16 figures before they ship them out to the customers. I understand that they may be there to protect finer details, etc. but it’s much easier and safer to take those supports off before UV curing when the resin is still somewhat soft and flexible. It’s tricky for smaller parts in 1/35 b/c removing the supports can damage them if not fully UV cured. Especially at their high pricing, you’d expect H3 Models to remove the supports.
Hopefully, in 2023, I’ll learn the digital sculpting skills, too to make some figures of my own (e.g. US Cold War figures no one is doing) instead of just CAD work for armor parts/conversions. Obviously, the lack of time is preventing me… Even if I don’t, I hope more 3D printed figures would be more available and give some competition to H3 and bring down the price a bit.

4 Likes

If the H3 Models rifle or carbine is 3D printed attached to the figure, that limits customization and weapon replacement with a more modern aftermarket version.

Sure, one can try to cut out the printed weapon and swap-replace it with an aftermarket weapon. But at such a high price per H3 Models figure…eeeeehhhh…I’d rather not risk the gamble by purchase-experimentation.

I can always email for a parts photo; however, based on the comments here, I am leaning away from opening my wallet…

Thanks for the replies.

1 Like

Hi @Trisaw, yes, there were nubs that needed removing, and one or two left a divot, annoyingly enough.

1 Like

@Newtonk Thanks. Apparently, figure modelers are buying from the Hong Kong online store, but I can always buy direct from the manufacturer.

They are pricey and there are elements on the H3 Models’ figures that I am not happy with if I purchase the ones I’m eyeing. Besides being “the only game in town,” I’m in no real rush to acquire.

James, my day just got a little better seeing your 2023 plan for some US Cold War figures, a very overlooked segment of miniatures. Keep us posted!

No one has done 1/16 WW2 Marines that I am aware of for the Jeep or M5 tank. I don’t think the Marines used the Sherman version Andy makes, those where 105s with HVSS in Korea. If someone knows different please let me know. Could use some pre-WW2 Marine to go with the FT-17. There is rumors of a Ontos in 1/16, that could use a few Vietnam Marines. Course I am open to Cold War Marines as well.

Just a few ideas I would put my :dollar: towards.

1 Like

You called it, Ryan! Ontos in 1/16.

No plans for 1/16 3D printed figures for now. I am going to start off with simple 1/35 sometime in Q4 2023 if I can squeeze in the time. :smiley: I wouldn’t hold my breath though. :slight_smile:

1 Like

New 1/16 H3 Models 3D printed figures for March, 2023: South Korean Marines, SOF, WW2 British Tank Crew, and 1980-1990 US Infantrymen. Also comes in other scales as well.

https://eng.h3models.com/category/116/31/

2 Likes

I like the SOF, but they don’t look particularly special forces like, ok, they have NVG, and nothing else… The US Infantry are good, too, but they’re way too expensive for what they are. Pass.

1 Like

@Newtonk Yes, I expected more gear with these 3D prints for the price. Their poses are very nice though and too bad they are sold in pairs and not as a single figure. Still, I’m sure that they will have a following for those who want them.

1 Like