Hataka Orange Line Paints

I just purchased a couple of the Hataka lacquer Orange Line paints and I’m not familiar with them at all. Has anybody used these before? What’s you opinion of them? How do they shoot? Do they need to be thinned or are they airbrush ready out of the bottle? There’s no indication on the box.

No first experience here. However, in the never ending quest for Floquil alternatives found this comment.

Large Scale Modeler - Hataka Laquer Paints - OMG!

I finally had a chance to test out the lacquer paints today and OMG, the results are fantastic.

I thin as normal: 1:1 drops of paint to lacquer thinner and to the final mix: add a few drops of a mild retarder.

I always shoot at very low working air pressures 10-15psi and shot the Hataka test at 12 psi right over non primed plastic. The results: smooth as silk and no signs of the paint attacking the plastic.

1 Like

Thanks Wade, just what I was looking for. :beer:

1 Like

Matt, please let us know what your impressions are with the Hataka paints.

1 Like

Will do, Wade. it may be a couple of kits from now, but I will.

1 Like

Make sure you know if you have red or orange line - personally I find those two colours a bit too similar to always be easy to tell apart. I’m sure you know what you have, Matt, but for others reading this…
The orange line are lacquer based, like Ammo Real Colors or Mr Hobby, and I have heard good things about airbrushing them, as you’d expect from that type of paint. The red line are water based acrylics much like Model Air etc. and come with the normal issues around tip drying etc.

1 Like