Heimatschutz Kampfpanzer

Posted these in another KP48 thread. Giving those not following it a chance to see. Kit is RoG’s “new” (2014) M48A2CGA2 kit. Markings are from PzBtl.543 , Heimatschutzbrigade 54. Hermeskeil. 1989. Might have taken a little scientific artistic license. Instructions say the scheme should be RAL 6014. By 89 I thought it might have been repainted. (Only NATO schemed option on the instructions was for PzBtl.623 in 88. As far as I can tell it was a storage unit, like the US Prepositioned Equipment.) I also added the amber beacon and Hoffman device.

1 Like

Hey Sluff

I was working as a Danish NCO in the HQ LANDJUT Rendsburg, Sleswig Holstein in 1979-1984
The German Haimatschutzbrigades was then going to be equipt with the GA2 version.
Here are my German M48s:
Best regards
Kjeld

1 Like

Sehr Gut! I was going to go with the 723 on my GA2 but I found out that unit (as near as I could figure) was a storage unit, like the American pre-positioned stores for Reforger (and in other locations). Not crewed or used. Just a small maintenance staff to keep the equipment ready for use. I have built the GA1. I have the M48A2/A2C coming. Planning on building it as 14th Armored Cav. (Based in Fulda, so it is sort of German. :))

1 Like

Kjeld,

Very nice models. I know of HQ LANDJUT well enough. I was serving in the British HQ 1st Infantry Brigade (mid 80s) which was then earmarked as the UK Mobile Force and we always seemed to be on exercise in Denmark or Schleswig-Holstein.

Sad to say perhaps, but I miss my Cold War(!)

Brian

Hey BootsDMS I remember the UK Mobile Force from our Bold Guard exercises, I served for 40 years in the Danish army from 1974, to 2014, from conscript private, to Seniorsergent (Sergent Major). I have been modelling plastic kits since boyhood, Tank modelling since 1968, i used my tank models in “Tank recognition duty” for more than 20 years, The problem was then, you could not get the WAPA tanks as models, before the Dragon made the T-72s, in the late 80ties. I dont want to speak about the awful Lindberg and Skif kits. The NATO cold war tanks, here you could get better models. rigth now i have build about 400 1:35 models, and have about 500+ stash, As a retired, i have a lot of time to my hobby, rigth now made one Centurin Mk 5 from Amusing, an one more on the table.

Best regards
Kjeld Pedersen

1 Like

Kjeld,

Not dissimilar service to mine own; I had to put the hobby on hold for something like 3 decades as with postings roughly every 3 years it was all too fragile. Now I’m trying to catch up. I remember though for years that if you wanted to build Warsaw Pact stuff you were restricted to the Esci T-55 and the inaccurate Tamiya T-62; then Dragon came along with their versions of T-72 and even T-80, which back then were all revelations!

Esci I remember also did some T-72s which were hopeless, but I have fond memories of Skif as they were the first manufacturer to produce the T-64, which I was always interested in. You might like to see what I did with the B version which is on this site (if you haven’t already - I am not fishing for compliments!) within the Cold War section under “T-64B from 3 Shock Army - Skif Kit”. I feel Skif deserve a little more recognition for their efforts.

Nowadays we are spoiled for choice I think. I have just acquired the Amusing Hobby Centurion too so look forward to seeing yours in due course.

Brian