Help Identify Camo Scheme

dear AFV experts: i ran across a cgi representation of a Jagdtiger which is done in ambush but i’m more interested in what style the underlying scheme is or is called? these are courtesy of Tank Encyclopedia:

i fully credit images as noted above. this is for purely educational purposes

This is known as “Ambush” scheme used by the Germans in mid-44 on. It’s intended to simulate the Sun shining through leaves.

Dear Cheyenne:

Thank you. Yes, I know that the overall scheme is ambush. But my more precise question, if inartfully stated was what exactly was the underlying tricolor camo scheme called, if anything? Take away the ambush dots and there are some unique paint schemes which appear more like bands of color as opposed to other tricolor schemes which appear as clouds more or less. Thanks
Dan

It’ generally referred to simply as tricolor. There may be an official technical name but I am not aware of it.

thanks Armorsmith. Know of any stencils or masks for it?

Probably are some but don’t know any off hand.
Just as easy to freehand. Most were done in the field by the crews anyway.

Only the first 9 Jagdtigers built would have had field-applied camouflage, from #305010 onwards, all remaining vehicles were delivered in factory-finished camo. Of the first 9 vehicles, 5 were issued as training and testing vehicles. Vehicle # 305005 was never issued into a combat unit due to faulty armor, vehicles #6-8 were lost from the official record but believed to have suffered major drive train issues and returned to Nibelungen Werk. “Ambush Scheme”, was a factory-designated paint scheme, OKW Wa J Rue (WuG6) VIII, dated August 19th, 1944, although # 305010 delivered between Oct. 5-7th, was still not painted in Ambush Scheme.

Jagdtiger 305020, tactical number 331, lost at Neustadt an der Weinstrasse, (the so called “Aberdeen Jagdtiger”), was painted in Ambush Scheme, so Ambush Scheme began somewhere between the span of these 10 vehicles. Since the tactical numbers for vehicles 11-19 are unknown, good luck finding out when…

1 Like