Help - Need to remove AK anti-slip

Anything to help a fellow modeler out. :smiley:

I would be careful with that listing. Looking at the sprue bag pics it looks like it is an old, motorized M2, not the M2A2 as advertised. It looks like it may be started too. I’m not sure what it really is.

Thats a possibility. The instructions attached are the one for the M2A2, but the upper hull screams vanilla M2.

Here’s the upper hull for the M2A2 and M2A2 ODS kit, which is the main piece he will need.

Tamiya 1/35 Scale M2A2 IFV - Upper Hull from Kit No. 35152 44455351522 | eBay

Like I said earlier, I have several extra sprues that I bought after breaking my lower hull, so i might be able to piece together enough parts for him to add to the upper hull, that way he can salvage that build, much like I did myself with my own M2A2 Bradley build.

Can’t stand seeing a good build go to waste on account of human error. Just let me know which parts you need.

1 Like

Will do thank you so much for the help. The household supply section has ordered the thinner that i will test on my paint mule I think I can wait until that comes in as the wife has a yard work list longer then my poor injured body can handle in one day so I think I’ll be good until it gets here, I will keep everybody updated.

Where is this paint available. I goggled it and it looks like they have stopped making this style. If they did is there an alterative paint to use.

I believe it has just been rebranded. They now call it Multicolor Textured paint and it comes in a variety of colors and different textures. Check Lowes, they have it.

3 Likes

I have seen this type spray can at Hobby Lobby as well

1 Like

Yep, had that one in my hared ill pick it up next time I’m there and unsupervised.

2 Likes

Just wanted to give a quick update to trying to remove the anti-slip. I received the recommended thinner and there is a good and a bad it. The good is it does remove the texture, the Bad is it very quickly eats the plastic. I put part of the spru in a dish of the thinner and in about two minutes it was already dissolving the plastic, so I guess there will be lots of wiping and a few baths in water to clean off the thinner.

I would not use the thinner on your model. It will melt it, especially the detail parts (bolts, smaller fittings, etc.) very quickly. You will be left with a blobby mess. I would either try to scrape the anti-slip coating off in certain areas to clean it up or leave it as is. Another option is to get a new upper hull and extra parts from Reynier (@SableLiger) and start over.

1 Like

I did a test run on a paint mule last night and I think I will try to strip it off and if the fails then I will probably bin the kit and use the useable parts on others. I already got the hull glued together and primmed so I don’t think it will be coming apart anytime soon. I have accepted the mistake that I made, and I might just have to grab anew kit, and I’m ok with that. My biggest take away is nothing new goes on a project without touching a paint mule first.

Good luck with it and let us know how it turns out.

I’m shooting for slow and steady. Trying to avoid the rapid accelerating with a quick stop into a wall situation.

just an update. I got 75% of the anti-slip off, so far so good I’ve got lots of primer repair in future also struggling to get the balled up reside out from under dome parts but i think ill get it done.

1 Like

The nice thing about the Bradley is you can put so many different kinds of stowage on it in so many locations. By the time you’re finished you may not even notice any blemishes…

4 Likes

So, I have been trying to drop an update on this project, but I was out of country for a family vacation then when I got back the site would not allow me to log in no matter how much I changed my password but today was my lucky day I reset it last night and I’m in. So, for the update I have "successfully striped all the glue and sand (and paint) off of the Bradley with minimal damage to the plastic. There are parts that are pretty ugly due to the tightness of some of the areas, but I got it primed and a coat of tan on it and when it will be sitting on the shelf nobody will know the difference.

3 Likes