Help - Need to remove AK anti-slip

So, I made a boo boo and now I’m calling on the collative intelligence of the great minds here. I was trying out the Anti slip kit from AK interactive and I botched it worse than cheap plastic surgery at a drive thru clinic. I want to strip off the sand and glue but I need to know what will remove the glue but not eat my plastic any suggestions are welcome.

I don’t know what you used, but when I use the “glue and grit” method I use white glue. A good soaking in warter will take care of it.

I used the AK Interactive set. It says to use a special thinner to clean the brush that you use so i might try that I just hope it won’t eat the plastic.

hi there, i would try the prescribed thinner on a piece of sprue first. If this remains unaffected, it is normally safe to use on your model.

2 Likes

yep, that is what I will need to do thank you for the advice.

The brad I’m working on is going to be temporary shelved I tried to use the AK nonslip surface kit and not I need to figure out how to remove it. It looks like poop.

1 Like

I still find the Rust-oleum texture spray paint method as the best.

Adding Anti-Slip to Modern Armor

3 Likes

I agree with Gino, this technique works best…

(from the thread)

This is the paint you need to find. :point_up:t3:

3 Likes

that’s a great idea but I think I’m gonna take a while before I try again.

1 Like

Post a photo or two of how it came out, someone may be able to help you fix it. It could be as simple as spraying over it with the Rust-oleum.
Ken

2 Likes

I totally agree with Gino on this one! I even did a PowerPoint presentation on it for my club back years ago!

:beer: :cowboy_hat_face:

I’ve had good results using the Mig Anti-slip paste A.MIG-2035. It goes on easily by stippling with a bit of sponge and looks good on US vehicles. They also have a finer version for 1/48 & 1:72.

The topic has been covered many times, and I am a fan of using the method that best replicates the surface found on the vehicle you’re modeling. On the Bradley, there are areas that Rustoleum would be suitable for and other areas that are just too sparse and in my opinion need to be done with a different method. My favorite method is thin white glue or paint and very fine sand. That way I can control the sparseness of the grit texture.

Some modern US vehicle sport what I will call the cake frosting texture. I have not seen the AK set yet, but it sounds like it may be able to replicate this.

And then curiously, a hybrid of the granular style over the cake frosting style:

5 Likes

I use a similar method using pumice powder available in different grades on the inter web. Paint the area and then sprinkle on the powder,( i use a tea strainer)

1 Like

Well here are the photos I know where I messed up I did not do any testing before using a new product and I went to heavy on the glue it was drying before I could apply the grit if I went light.

Man the pictures make it look even worse

OK, it’s not that bad. First thing I would do is apply some to a scrap model or sheet of plastic and see what will remove it. Do not practice on your model, that will only mess it up.
If you can get it off safely, great. Start over with something else. Lesson learned.
If not, try the Rust-oleum on your practice piece. Lightly coating the “poop” should blend it in and make it look better. Then give it a coat of paint. At that point it should look pretty presentable.
Ken

2 Likes

I’m going to try to remove it with the thinner that AK recommends to clean the brush that you used to apply it with if that don’t work I will ceremonially burn it to the model gods and buy a new kit. Lessons learned. I’m the got to learn the hard and painful way person.

If it doesn’t go as hoped. here’s a link to a cheap kit on eBay, to help you salvage that build.

M2A2 infantry Fighting Vehicle in 1/35 scale by Tamiya -No Box or decals | eBay

I might even have a few spares from this build that I could let you have free of charge.

1 Like

That’s great thanks for the heads up.