Help please, regarding product quality

Hi all,

I’m hoping someone might be able to help me regarding the quality of a range of resin small boats, :thinking:?

I need a 1/72nd scale WW2 era, small Royal Navy boat, of a type that might be used for ship-to-shore transfers.

One possible source that I’ve found is from a company called Quaycraft (see link below).

However, these are rendered in resin and, recently, I have had a poor experience with the quality of a resin boat kit where I wasted good money on a poorly produced product, :disappointed:.

Therefore, my question is this…has anyone ever purchased any of the Quaycraft kits and, if so, what was their view on quality, :thinking:?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, :slightly_smiling_face:.

Cheers, :beer:,

G

They are in the UK and so I would suggest a phone call as you can ask your questions direct to them and get a feel for them.

1 Like

Thanks for your feedback Darren, much appreciated, :+1: :slightly_smiling_face:.

I’m one step ahead of you as, at the time of writing the request above, I’ve already emailed Cornwall Model Boats asking for larger images etc, but as of yet I’ve not had a reply.

However, I would still like to find out, if possible, feedback from independent sources as a supplier/manufacturer has a bias when it comes to supporting their own products, :roll_eyes: :thinking:.

Thank you again for taking the time to respond, :slightly_smiling_face:.

G, :beer:

I’ve got their 90 mm Cutter…quite nice, but is plastic, not resin. Have you tried Shapeways? Might be more expensive than you are looking for!
:grinning: :canada:

1 Like

Thanks for the response Leo, much appreciated, :+1: :slightly_smiling_face:. I’ve not spotted their plastic kits, is their 90 mm Cutter 1/72nd?

Thanks again, and cheers, :beer:, and a happy New Year to one and all, :+1: :beer:,

G

Now that you mention it…It doesn’t specifically state 1/72, but I assumed it was as it was included on the page with other 1/72 boats. I have one, it is about 4" long and looks to be 1/72. Aeronaut 6020/31 Cutter 90mm AN6020/31 | Cornwall Model Boats
It’s plastic, but not a kit. It comes completely assembled.
Zvezda makes a 1/72 row/sailboat. May not be exactly what you’re looking for, but could be adapted. It’s inexpensive and also really well detailed: 9033 Zvezda 1 72 Scale Medieval Life Boat Kit | eBay
More views of the Zvezda kit if you are interested: M o d e l W a r s h i p s . c o m - Gallery

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback Leo, I found the Aeronaut products, so will consider them a possibility, thank you, :+1: :slightly_smiling_face:.

I have considered the Zvezda lifeboat previously, it’s my fall-back option, though having read a few reviews it is very medieval in appearance, so would need some modifications to give it a more modern appearance, :thinking:.

Hi all,

In the end I’ve gone for the fall back position boat-wise and purchased the Zvezda medieval lifeboat kit, as suggested by Leo, and spent a few hours hacking it about so as to make it look less olde worlde.

The kit itself is very simple to construct but I decided to cut off the ornate moulded oarlocks and the raised area that runs around the transom and the stern quarter of the boat. I’ve done away with the mast, constructed simple oarlocks and a steering device, it’s rough, but it’s based on a photograph I’ve seen of a WW2 Royal Navy whaler. I’ve also raised the perforated platform at the rear, this originally lined the floor of the lifeboat.

Below is a photograph of the kit as built OOB:

And below are some images showing the modifications. I’m going to try and convert the figure, taken from the Dapol Station Figures set, to a Royal Navy crewman…if my skills permit, :roll_eyes: :smile:.

If anyone has any other suggestions on how to further hide the original kit…other than bin it, :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:…I’m open to suggestions, :thinking:?

G

The smallest RN boats were dinghies. You could Google to see if they look anything like this model. (Not too much!) Royal Navy Ship’s Boats of WWII – On The Slipway

1 Like

That actually looks about the size many armed trawlers carried, which trawler crewmen refer to as a “small boat” and seem to be non Navy equipment carried over from their fishing days.

Amazing modernization job! :slight_smile:

1 Like

The image I posted above is obviously mislabeled, and is probably a whaler. This should be correct:

More info here: RNSA 14 ft dinghy – BAE0029 | National Maritime Museum Cornwall
This might help, too: 1/96 Royal Navy 16ft Sailing Dinghy (Drifter Type) – Micro Master 3D Printed Hobby Parts

2 Likes

They do not waste space on small boats. What is happening at the stern? It is a lot of empty space. If you made a small inboard motor, removed the oarlocks and seats, you would have a small work boat. Maybe a small fishing boat.

1 Like

You may have to scratch an entirely new interior for the Zvezda model to make it look like the 16’ dinghy, although judging from the quality of the rest of the dio, it should not be difficult!

1 Like

Thanks for the links Leo, much appreciated, :slightly_smiling_face: :+1:. Wish I’d seen the image of the 14’ dinghy earlier as, at a quick glance, I think some rough hacking (you attribute me with more credit than i deserve scratch-wise, :slightly_smiling_face:)…all I’m capable of, :roll_eyes:…could manage to achieve something similar from the Zvezda kit, though it is nearly a scale 5’ longer.

Thanks for the feedback Greg, it’s much appreciated and backs up my own reservations, you are the final nail in the coffin regarding my hacking of the Zvezda kit, :+1: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:, I wasn’t really happy with it, so back to the drawing-board, :disappointed: :slightly_smiling_face:.

Hi all,

Here’s the start of my second attempt using the Zvezda 1/72nd medieval lifeboat. It’s not accurate, but hopefully looks a tad better than the first attempt, I’ve simply added various ‘ribs’ from strips of plastic. I still need to add some more details and a front seat with hole for the mast, and I need to trim off all the moulded on oarlocks and slot for the rudder.

In the background you can see my first attempt at converting some 1/72nd figures.

Please feel free to advise, criticise or make suggestions

G

1 Like

Now that wasn’t so difficult, was it? I notice your Tommy’s are representative of BEF, are these survivors from Dunkirk?

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback Leo, :+1: :slightly_smiling_face:. I’ve added a few more ribs and four round canisters shown in the images you sent me…not sure what they are, :roll_eyes: :thinking:. I’ve scraped off all the medieval rowlocks/oarlocks and high stern mouldings, also trying to remove the raised flange below the first plank level.

I’m also trying to tidy up the top edge a bit with various plasticard trimmings, all looks a bit of a mess, needs some filling and sanding.

All the Zvezda British/Commonwealth figures, even when listed as suitable for later in the war come with that front chest pack which I think places them early war…but I stand to be corrected…so yes, Dunkirk survivors is the aim.

Thanks again for all your help thus far.

The chest pack was for a respirator in case of gas attacks. It was soon tossed. I have several of Zvezda’s British troop sets, but seeing as they are all wearing the respirator pack, they’re really only suitable as BEF. I am pretty sure that France 1940 was the only campaign where they were still using it, except for Norway, but they were also usually wearing greatcoats.
Nice job on the dinghy! The cylindrical containers probably held survival supplies and rations.

1 Like

Thanks again for your valuable contribution Leo, appreciated as always, :+1: :slightly_smiling_face:.

It’s frustrating having the gasmask bag moulded on as it limits the time period. IMHO they should have left them off, or offered them as a glue on option as to try and represent later war figures…as some of the sets suggest is applicable…you end up removing detail that is difficult for many of us to replace, :angry:.

Think I’ve finished the interior, it’s a tad basic, and rough-and-ready, but I’m no scratch-builder, though, hopefully, the plastic strips change the appearance of the original enough that it better suits the intended era.

Trying to find an image of the mast/sail might be stowed when not in use, and still need to change the shape of the rudder.

1 Like